Which fishing lines?

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by Jewie27, September 29, 2004.

1. Jewie27

Jewie27 Well-Known Member

If you were to choose any of these lines, which one would you pick and why?

Choices are Ande, Trilene, P-Line, or Maxima.

I've used both Trilene and P-Line. I can't tell the difference except that P-Line is blue.

Just give the reasons why one is better than the other.

2. Joey805

Administrator

I swear by P-Line Cxx clear. I have been using the stuff for a few years now and haven't found a stonger fishing line on the market. Personally the best in my opinion. [​IMG]

3. Skunkmaster

Skunkmaster Well-Known Member

i personally like maxima..... seems to have less memory and is less stiff than the others, just a smoother line i guess.... but that is just opinion and personal preference

4. EnHaNcEd R

EnHaNcEd R Well-Known Member

i use ANDE and P-LINE................

5. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

pline for me...

6. bajadave

MAXIMA and IZORLINE!

7. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Maxima, been using it for 15 years but it"s getting harder yo find in bulk, strong, limp, low memory, very good casting line, in green and crystal ivory [​IMG]

Izorline Platinum smoke color, just started using it because bajadave recommended it, very soft and limp, strong and low memory [​IMG] This line just has a good feel to it :)

8. Skunkmaster

where do ya find that izorline danny?

9. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Erik's Tackle on Thompson Blvd. you should be able to find it your in Ventura. Reel nice shop he has, browse thru it [​IMG]

10. Skunkmaster

cool, i will check it out

11. Carnivore

P-Line in all colors depending on target. I have 2 pound Fluorocarbon on my trout rod up to 40 blue on my Okuma but went with power pro braided on my big game rig. I think Maxima is good but other then triline I have not used anything else.

12. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

MAXIMA!!!!
    I used P-Line, stren trilene and a bunch of other stuff and found that
    Maxima is by far the best I have found. Limp, smooth and strong, low
    memory and is plain straight a killer line.</font></font></span>

13. bajadave

Almost any fishing linewill work..................................you just have to know how to tie knots correctly![​IMG]

14. Sinker

Just as one would choose a specific Rod or Reel for a specific situation I feel some what the same about fishing line as well.

P-Line = Low Stretch, Good Abrasion Resistance, Stronger than rated but also a thicker diameter.

Trilene= Although many types available - alot of stretch, some types decent abrasion resistance.

Maxima = Again a number of types available but as stated Low memory, limp, good casting

Ande = Good IGFA line as it will break within IGFA standards for rating, holds a truer diameter for rating, medium to high memory

Asking fishermen about fishing line is like asking them about tackle manufacturers, brands etc. It comes down to a matter of preference and what one can afford. There will never be an agreement, this is why there are so many manufacturers out there both for tackle and lines.

I have all the lines you have mentioned on different set-ups and other lines to include some of the new superlines (braids) as well but you didn't ask about them.

How well lines hold knots etc. is also a big factor but again everyone has their own opinion - mine, I believe each lines has a place although some not in my arsenal.

15. Wavehopper

Wavehopper Well-Known Member

Ditto with Sinker....I'd use Dental Floss, a diaper pin and a tree branch ifit would increase my luck:D

[​IMG]

16. Shanttu

Shanttu Well-Known Member

have anyone of you guys used Cuda, thats some really good line and its cheep too. try it out one day...

17. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

CUDA???? Never heard of it. WHO ? and WHERE makes and sells it?

There is a line made by shakespere I found out called cajun
    or red cajun. Supposedly it totally disappeares under water within 5
    feet. Cool right? I thought so too. But when I ask any one who sells it
    I hear they know nothing about it our I get a funny look from them. Its
    a preferencial thing I guyss. I like Max because Ive never lost a fish
    using it unles it was knicked or had a bad kink in it....BAD
    BEAR....BAAAAAD. Ive caught huge bat rays on 20 pound and no really
    knowin much then, I was horsing that thing around big time and it never
    let me down. Ive caught lil trout on 12 pound Max, crystal ivory
    as well. lil fish, big line? Yeah but I did it...HA....usually use 2-4
    pound stren clear for trout. I like it cuz its a good all around line.
    10 bucks for 650 yards of 20 # is a good deal in my book. Oh and the 30
    pound makes a great tooth pick. LOL

</font></span>

18. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

CUDA is some pretty good line. its developing quite a following down here in sandiego, especially with the big game kayakers that have to deal with hang ups in kelp and big fish at the end of the line. ive been meaning to get some, but these dang spools last FOREVER when u only change about 100-200ft of line at the time! (spectra backing).

19. ODH33

I have used Trilene, Izorline and P line. but now i am going to have to try Maxima as some of you guys are raving about it.

20. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

Some good info here guys. Personally,I like Pline the best. Like Baja said, it's all about the knot. Thanks to Todd on the Coral Sea Charter for showing me the San Diego Jam Knot as i swear by that knot. I found though with pline that while using an Improved Clinch it didn't hold up well at all. In fact the knot would get unbottoned any time I had a decent fish on. This never happened before and seamed to have started with Pline so I have abandoned that knot altogether unless with low test line. Of course this was before i knew practically anything about fishing but now I know just how important the knot really is. Palomars also seam to work pretty well on Pline as well. I think it was Bear that also had the knot problem with Pline as well. as for Maxima, I've heard great things about it from the guys here so I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. For trout fishing, I love the Pline Fluoroclear line. I've had the hook break on a big trout before having the 2lb test snap. Of course, it was a cheap Mustad hook. Actually, with Pline, I think I've only had my line snap once because of a fish and that was my fault for not using a wire leader when trolling a rapala when I got hit by a shark. Of course, I haven't really put it to the test yet besides Rays.