Winch

Discussion in 'Boat Talk' started by Sprite64, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Sprite64

Sprite64 Member

What brand of winch should I use to tow my 2012 outlaw eagle jet boat, using my Chevrolet Silverado 3500? I am currently checking out Warn Winches, is it a good option?

2. TunAssassin

TunAssassin Member

I'm a little confused.o_O What would you need a winch for to tow a boat? I can only assume your talking about the trailer winch to crank the boat up with. I'm not brand particular, but any hand crank setup would do just fine. If you want electric, I suppose a warn would be a good choice.

3. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Waren is good, Super Winch has the best heavy duty line (over 10K) going right now. Smittybilt is a good one too. I am with Tuna, not sure what you need a winch for, for towing your boat but I think every truck should have a winch so it is as good of an excuse as any to get one.

TunAssassin likes this.
  4. WickedGoodOutdoors

WickedGoodOutdoors Member

On my old Dodge Ram 3/4 ton truck I mounted one of those 10,000 pound winches from Sam's Club into the bed forward bolted both to the forward bulkhead and to the bottom. It worked for dragging lots of things with the truck. Only problem was it was exposed to weather and when you loaded stuff into the truck you could not get at it. Also Manure, Compost, Firewood and other crap would get into it. You need to add en extra deep cycle marine battery with diode and breaker switch if your going to run wires up to your alternator to keep it charged. So I had the two heavy duty Batteries to start the Cummins and a Deep Cycle for the winch. I got rid of that truck and am thinking of building a new plywood crossover box with a new winch with strap (no Cable, the strands break off and cut your hands really bad) the advantage of a cable is you can add blocks and increase the towing power but sacrifice speed. be carul not to overload the cables as when the snap there can be a lot of kinetic energy relaced that could cut you in half or take off an arm leg or head.) and battery into the box as I now have a tiny Jap truck 4. ltr 6 cyl gas engine with 5 foot bed in it. The truck tows my little 24 ft center console boat fine as its only 6,000 pounds but I know its there.

The winch will be handy for getting Moose/ Deer onto a trailer pulling the truck out of snow & mud as well as winching the boat on the trailer. I plan to leave the hand crank winch with strap mounted on the boat trailer as a backup.

Cabela's has these 9,000 pound winches online but not in the store. For $440. Winch.png