Winding Check installation

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by J Heidrick, May 14, 2004.

1. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

I have successfully installed my grips and reel seat and I am ready to install the winding check....any tips for getting that seated against the hypalon?

The grip installation took alot of continuous strength to maintain constant downward pressure, however the large soft grip gave me plenty of material to grab.

The winding check is so small and I'd hate to get that thing stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

I use a short piece of wood.....drill a hole slightly larger than the dia. of the blank where the winding check will finaly rest . With the check slid onto the blank, slide the push stick down the blank...and push the winding check into place.

3. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

Thanks. That seems easy now. I am guessing that I would apply a slight amount of epoxy under the check to hold it on but how about the top end of it? Would I use flex coat to seal the top?

4. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!! THAT ACTUALLY DOES SOUND EASY SCOTT IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING! SO......ONCE AGAIN I HAVE NO IDEA. YOU GUYS MAKE RODS, ILL FIX CARS AND WE WILL ALL TRADE [​IMG]

5. Finadict

If it's one of those soft vinyl or rubber ones, and it fits to where you need to force it on.....no glue nessary. Usualy a buttwrap of some sort is started at the winding check, so some flexcoat will usualy be aplied up to it. When i use them,witch is rare , I will finish right over them, because they seem to crack and deteriorate if unprotected.

6. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

Thanks, that was my next question...I will start wrapping tonight!

7. Finadict

Right on man! Hope to see some pics when ur done! Good to see some activity on the rodbuildin' board again!

8. Sinker

Ok Scott how about a step by step (with pics) beginners guide.

Hey you started it [​IMG]

9. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

I will bring it in to show you....I am the guy that was talking to you about thread on the phone yesterday am.

I have been practicing my wraps on an old rod and will be ready to go for it in a few days...can you tell me how to wrap around the tip top? Do you install the tip top and wrap up to it, and then mask the tip top and flex coat? or do you wrap, coat, and then install the tip top?.....

On the winding check... the taper terminates and there is about an 1/8 of an inch to the blank. I will be making a dimond wrap or some other type of decorative wrap against the check...I want to make the taper flow all the way to the blank. Should I build the area with thread or just wrap as I would a guide. and fill with flex coat...

And....Writing on that wrap...I would like to put my name on it, etc...I am guessing that I would finish...let dry, and then apply another coat...What type of ink can I use? (Also on finishing the guides, how many coats total?).

Thanks again.

10. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

UM....WHAT? I know nothin about it but after readin this ONE inquireing mind NEEDS to know....What is this winding check dumaflatchy?

11. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

The winding check is the rubber "O ring" looking thing that sits on top of the top grip...

12. Bearfish

LMAO...And that was bothering me.....I think I need a hobby. Oh wait I have one.....I think I should go partake in my hobby then. That or have Scott let me wrap my own rod...hint hint...hehe...OOOOOO did I say that? Hmmm...musta been typing out loud. To much coffee , and chocolate strawberries today....YAY...its teacher appreciation week at my daughtes school and they like it when I brrring em goodies....Man I got a choco buzz or somethin...WOO HOOO......I dont thinkI could tie on a hook right now...YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!![​IMG] :nana: :banger:

13. Finadict

....As for the tip, I usualy install.....wrap up to it...and finish coat, overlapping about 1/32 onto the tip tube.

....And getting the flowing taper....there several ways to do that. If you have access to a rod dryer( slow 6-18 r.p.m.) to rotate the rod, the best way is to build the taper up to the o.d. of the check with epoxy glue(or finish...but takes longer to dry) and let cure. Mask grip and sand to shape if nessary. Keep in mind, if you do a diamond wrap , the ends of the wrap will be very thick from wrapping over the ends of the diamond pattern , so compensate the thickness of the glue buildup accordingly.

...And for writing on a rod.....There are many , many ways to do this...and i think ive tried them all! Ive used gel pens , paint markers , gold leaf w/hot pen , callibrated drafting fountain pens , rub-on lettering , and p-touch labels. The gel pens looked choppy because of the ballpoint not working on a hard surface. The paint matkers were too bold and take too long to dry.The gold leaf looks great , but is akward to use. The labels....well...they look like labels!

The drafting pens look the best. They can write very fine lines consistantly, and have different dia. tips for bold and anything in between. But, they are VERY expensive , clog easily with any pigmented ink other than black , are dificult to change colors...and are generaly more of a pain in the ass than they're worth.

The best all around pen Ive found is the good old fasioned dip type fountain pen. They are available with different sized nibs from ex fine, to bold, never clog , can switch colors with a simple wipe of the tip with a paper towel, and are cheap! I use Speedball pigmented acrylic ink(mostly white) available at Aron Bros. (pens there too!).

I do the lettering before the last coat of finish, so I have a smooth surface to write on. It's best to do several thin coats of finish at first, until the desired "build" is acheived. After a few rods , you will develop a feel for the characteristics of flexcoat , and be able to predict what it will do, and where to "build up" on the right areas of the guidewrap for it to flow and level corectly. Once your at this point, depending on the curing method(r.p.m.'s of the finish motor...temp/humidity of room....etc.) a rod can be done with 1 soaker coat, alowed to cure, and a high build finish coat.

14. Finadict

..........[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

Uh oh...now I know whythere are professionals like yourself...this sounds like it is going to be getting tricky...Welp...more questions for you, I have the flex coat high build finish, I was planning to wrap,then apply 3 coats of the flex coat, allowing to dry overnight between coats...what is a soaker coat, and how do I apply that....Also what type of ink should I use...I'd like to use a gold or silver color.

Thanks again,

JH

16. J Heidrick

J Heidrick Member

Speedball it is! Aaron Bros? How about the soaker business...I don't want to snake any of your trade secrets...but I dont want to end up with silly putty around the wraps....

17. Finadict

The soaker coat is just the first coat of flexcoat that soaks into the wraps . after it cures, you can trim off any thread stick-ups and bubles before the next coats.

18. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

19. Bearfish

Hey Creekster...yo may say [​IMG]now but when you see it you will say [​IMG]and when you buy one from Scott you will say :banger:and there will be no [​IMG]or [​IMG]about the quality and construction of the rod so you will feel [​IMG]and there will be no :embarassed:about it. Plus when you use it you willcompletely be :Dabout it and you can say :nana:to everyone who doesnt have an ARC rod...including me...and so you will lnow why you should [​IMG]the master and want to :hug:him for putting out such quality products.[​IMG]:)[​IMG]:):nana:

20. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

f**kin Bear,lol.. luv your attitude bro [​IMG] ...lmao