Work or GET Worked This is the Question

Discussion in 'East Coast' started by Sinker, February 6, 2011.

1. Sinker

Break in the weather, news show LARGE Bull Sharks on our beaches 250lb +

Soooooooo

Tape the Super Bowl and out to fish in the dark for BIG Bull Sharks. Figure if I catch a big shark then I don't have to turn in the man card for missing the Super Bowl.

Bringing and Avet HX Raptor loaded with 100lb braid, 25' of 130lb mono and 12' of 600lb wire - also a Shimano Saragosa 1800 loaded with 80lb braid, 25' of 100lb mono and 12' of 200lb wire, BOTH on new Shimano Terez Rods.

If that doesn't pan out also bringing a Shimano Stella 4000 with 20lb braid and an Abu Garcia Soron STX40 with 10lb braid

Nothing in between so if the Big Bull Reds and Snook are out I can either WORK them or GET WORKED by them - my choice.

Now we just need the weather, fish and seas to cooperate. Twister and CaptainSid are joining me on this little adventure - Sure hope it's not a bust...

2. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

work them Timmy!:cool2:

3. Sinker

Well, much like Sparrow Hawk (read http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/...orts/80480-why-o-why-did-i-go.html#post495445) I too should have ate, drank and been merry in front on the TV watching the Super Bowl although I did not expect the Packers to win.

We got some killer live bait and headed out. While on the road I remembered that I FORGOT the shark bait :eek:.

Still had a good feeling and everything was falling into place so went ahead and figured we would catch some live bait for the task.

Got to the ramp and was about knocked over by the smell of rotting decaying fish. Seems we had a MASSIVE fish die off. Evidently schools and schools of pogies and threadfins came into our inlet (thinking those bait balls were why the sharks were on the beach). As far as you could see was a mass of dead fish.

Well we launched anyway and almost immediately lost electric to everything . After an hour of searching we found the problem - a bad in line breaker right below the battery switch. The terminal is broken so need to replace it but we tapped it up good and tight, hit the breaker and all came back to life with no more issue with that for the night.

We acted as an icebreaker boat except plowing through dead fish instead of ice. Got out into the ocean and the water cleared up nicely but there was dead fish even out there too.

We had awesome live bait but with everything else in the water evidently for at least a day we didn't so much as get a bite.

Went and anchored west of the catwalk on a raging tide, anchor broke loose then re-caught but not till I was wrapped in the prop. Got that cleared, went to pull anchor and there was no way. Tried powering it loose with the boat - wasn't gonna happen so we joined the happy thousands of other boats who have lost an anchor to the inlet and cut her loose..

So NO fish, not even a bite, Terrible smell all night, Electric problems that need to be fixed before the next trip AND lost an anchor which now needs to be replaced as well.

May sound odd but even with all the bad I still had a good time and enjoyed being on the water with CaptainSid and Twister - just wish some fish had joined us - maybe next time.

Sorry I don't/didn't have something nice to report...

4. Sinker

Here is a pic of some of the fish kill - everything that looks white, like sand or land is floating fish carcasses and this is just a very small portion.

Attached Files:

5. Carnivore

Oh heck that blows. You figure that would bring in some sharks though. I missed the SB too but I was shooting things in the desert.

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

wow, that's alot of dead bait wonder what happened there:dunno:

7. CaptainSid

CaptainSid Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Sinker - I had a good time and enjoyed being on the water with Sinker and Twister. As my Wife said, "You were on the water, able to renew friendships, tell stories, find out more about the electrical on the boat, witness the massive fish kill firsthand (not so nice), discover where you should not anchor up, and you all came home safe with no injuries". She is always so positive.

8. Sinker

Seems it was actually three different species that came in, in huge numbers. We have also seen some other fish floating - I guess from a lack of oxygen as well well but that is just a guess.

We should have a great populations and growth for the crabs and catfish :embarassed:

9. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Kinda like the red tides of California...?