yak advise

Discussion in 'Kayak Central' started by longrod, June 30, 2005.

1. longrod

longrod Well-Known Member

Whats up guys, I have been thinking about getting a kayak I will problably have enough money to get one within the next month. Just looking for some advice from some of you that have yaks. Any manufacturers that you recomend or advise to stay away from. Shop's to buy from or people that are looking to get rid of there kayak?

thanx

dan

2. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I like my cobra but I bet there is more than 1 good kind!

3. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

the best advise anyone can give is to go to all the kayak stores you can find. test out as many kayaks as you can. most places will let you either test them out (if theyre located on the waterfront) or at least rent them. takea rod with you when you test them out to feel how each one handles while youre fishing from it. then, when youve seen all you can see, you will be able to make an educated decision on what is the best kayak for YOU.

in case i didnt stress that enough, i said the best kayak for you.

i am on my third kayak now. this is because i didnt do enough testing to find out what i really wanted from the begining. my first yak was a cobra navigator (12.5' long, 33" beam). very stable, with decent speed. but i wanted something faster to get me out to the la jolla kelp faster and easier. so i sold the nav and bought a cobra tourer (15' long, 28" beam). much less stable, but fast. but had to shell out another $200 for the MUCH NEEDED rudder system since the boat was VERY suceptible to wind. my third and current kayak is an ocean kayaks prowler (15'4", 28" beam) that i won in a kayak fishing tournament. great speed, more stability, better fishability, no need for a rudder, but doesnt take well to extra weight in the tank well (like a bait tank). although i like my current kayak the best out of all three, there are still some that just cant own, paddle, or stand the prowler.

good luck in your search, but just remember. dont let anyone tell you how great their kayak is... in the end, they are all great... but for their current owner, and not necessarily you. there's that word again... "YOU".