zincs

Discussion in 'Boat Talk' started by pete j, Dec 27, 2014.

1. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Does anybody have a clue on how to tell when a outboard anode is shot,old damaged or just done, I have one that does not look to bad thats underneath the tilt and trim bracket and its underneath the water all the time . It dont look that worn out from the new pics of one but it looks funky like its been corroded and I wire brushed off the crap and its pitted, But how do you tell when its time for a new one better yet what do they even do and since the tnt has never worked do I even need it?? THANKS for any answers cause I dont have no clue as to what there purpose is but Thanks

Attached Files:

2. wils

wils Well-Known Member

1. what does a new anode look like? then compare it to what yours looks like.

2. google: 'zinc outboard motor'

3. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

There is naturally occurring electricity in any body of water, especially salt water. If you put your boat in that water some of the electricity will want to travel from the water to your boat, causing corrosion on metal parts touching the water. The zinc is designed as a softer piece of metal to attract that electricity and transfer it to your boat without causing damage to the other metal parts, such as your outdrive, propeller, etc.

I have seen anodes in much worse condition than yours, but I would not hesitate to replace it if mine looked like that.

4. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and i did google it. Thats why I posted to find out about if I should replace them, They dont look too bad compared to new ones but their cheap so new ones it will be. Again THANKS ALOT :)