Get Bent Sportfishing
Front Page Fish Counts Hot New Reports Tips And Tricks Weather Contact Us
Go Back   Get Bent Sportfishing > FISHING REPORTS AND DISCUSSIONS > West Coast > West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports
Register Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM     #1
ploverkilla

Name: Adam
Cost of fishing in a MLPA

Alright boys Im posting this as to inform you all of the fines for fishing in a MLPA. I got popped by an under cover warden on a kayak just 200 ft inside the line of a MLPA near SB. Warden said he was giving me a warning since the MLPA was new and the whole fleet was in the MLPA that day. He then took photos of all of my info and GPS position on my plotter. I asked why and he said he was going to forward the info to the D.A. Huh? I said, is the D.A. going to pursue this and he replied that he didn't want to speak for the D.A. office but that he didn't think so. Well the D.A. ate it up and 2.5 months later I got a letter to appear in criminal court. The fine 500.00 and the charge a misdemeanor I took it and plead no contest. Could have been worse I guess but I will always double check my location from now on. I wish fish and game would have been up front and given me a ticket if they were just going to sick the DA on me. If DFG acts like the bro then watch out for the bro job. They get the DA to finish you off. I know a couple other guys busted the same day and commercial or sport it was a 500.00 fine across the board. All I can say is watch the invisible line or else theyll get you. This post is just to let everyone know what an MLPA violation entails since there is alot of misinformation out there. I hope this clarifys some facts for you all.
On the light side I got to see a crack head get arrested for stealing someone elses cell phone in the court room. Pretty entertaining!!!
ploverkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM     #2
SURCHIN

Name: scott
Vessel: 20'wellcraft
Ouch. Thanks for info. Interesting twist. Did u ask for reduced fine or was that a mandatory minimum? U c on a kayak eh? Couple hundred feet of an invisible line dang, got me wondering if its the boat owner that would get the ticket or whose got lines out when they roll up. Multiple tix per boat?

Nice login name, frickin birds
Scott
SURCHIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM     #3
Michael J

Name: Michael
Vessel: 2120 Parker Offgassin
Yeah that does suck that he put the DA on you like that....pretty chicken

I've set up my GPS with a "Route" with all the closure numbers on it for each closeure area. I can punch in my routes,and it will want to know which one.I punch in Naples as an example ,and it shows me the route lines so that way I stay out. Ya just gotta be careful that you put in the right numbers of the closures in your routes.

Seems to work pretty well,but I havent been stopped yet. I know lots of folks were very close when the C-bass went off this summer.
MJ.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM     #4
WanderingBlues

Name: Curtis
Vessel: None yet.....
It seems to be a young officer thing- to want to shirk the uncomfortable responsibility of citing good folks by not telling you what's up and deferring to a DA office. One thing, though. That the DA had to file means it's a misdemeanor. Nolo Contendre means you'll have a misdemeanor arrest and conviction on file. Maybe not a big deal, but worth fighting if it was an honest miscalculation.
WanderingBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 PM     #5
wils

Name: Bill Osborne
sounds like you and the DFG guy did the right thing. DFG guy didnt want to cite you but had to file his report or lose his job.
you knew you were wrong and paid the fine. if you would have fought it, start adding in time off work and court fees for the same "guilty" outcome.

My guess is that the $500 fine will rise as time goes along.

My old GPS chart plotter came with all the pre-MPA closures already programmed in. Do the new GPS plotters have the new MPA closures pre-programmed?
wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM     #6
hiplanesdrifter

Name: Will
Vessel: 25 Davis RH
Crack head was hilarious.
C ya out there(out of the closure that is!)
hiplanesdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM     #7
HillTop

Name: nate
Vessel: achilles 14 ft., tiderunner 195 WA "time off"
oooh that line up there was a bit shady this summer, that's for sure...........sucks bro. i knew there were u.c. dfg rolling around..........it was too much of a circus after the first week of solitude and peace...........live and learn.

remember we left heroes! what's that worth?

Last edited by HillTop; 11-30-2012 at 08:42 PM.
HillTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM     #8
hoober

Name: nick shalhoob
Vessel: anything I can put gas into
I understand there is a "bench warrant" out for me..... what, you could'nt just pay my fine for me?Nice to know who your friends are.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM     #9
dudewarner

Name: Charlie
Vessel: Chris Craft Center Console + 08 PARKER 2320
Ouch!

I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
dudewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 PM     #10
Torrn

Name: Ben
That really stinks. A Kayak can easily drift 200' while paying attention to other things and a boat can also drift a good deal when the current changes and the proper amount of line is out. Isn't the depth to anchor line deal something like 1 to 7? Every 1' of depth you're supposed to let out 7' of anchor line. Guessing you're anchored between 60-90'...it's not hard to imagine drifting. Also, if it's a strong low tide you're adding more distance.
I know we're all supposed to be responsible on the water...but there's a lot to pay attention to, and drifting 1-200' can happen so EASY!
Bummer my friends. Christmas will be short $500 for your families this year...that's messed up. That's really messed up

I understand the DA has a job to do...I can only wish they would do it properly.

Last edited by Torrn; 11-30-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Torrn is offline   Reply With Quote