Get Bent Sportfishing
Front Page Fish Counts Hot New Reports Tips And Tricks Weather Contact Us
Go Back   Get Bent Sportfishing > FISHING REPORTS AND DISCUSSIONS > West Coast > West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Reports
Register Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM     #1
Dave K.

Name: Dave
Vessel: 33' Bayliner Avanti
Lobster hooping in Marina Del Rey

Hey all! This will be my first (real) report but unfortunately without pics....however, if you have ever 'been there' you can imagine and picture the evening!

Checking the marine conditions suggested a full moon and the sea to be 1' at 12 seconds. I talked my wife in to trying 'hooping' for the first time and breaking in our new 10.5' inflatable. The trip was only out to the breakwater so we left the Bayliner at dock.

Well, once in the main channel we note that the flag is standing erect and suggesting something other than what was indicated on the marine forcast. She's game so we continued and once past the ground swell it got sloppy and a little wet.

We dropped hoops and returned to the cover of the breakwater. Our first pull after waiting about 1 hour was fruitless but for a couple small crabs and small sculpin. Back to the cover of the breakwall.

The sea settled down a bit and the moon was full so after another hour or so we headed back out to pull. We managed 8 lobsters 7 of which had to go back with each less than 1/4" SHORT. We kept a nice 2lb. lobster which wasn't too bad a result for the conditions.

Our last hoop produced a nice sized sculpin well worth keeping. My wife reached for it but I stopped her explaining what could happen..........( I'm the man, so I'll do it ) of course back at the dock where it's safe and the fish will be dead by then

Back at dock, cold, wet and tired but satisfied with our 1 nice lobster she goes to take a hot shower while I cleaned out the boat and had a beer. Now ofcourse here we go; 'knowing' the fish is dead and being 'the man' I reached for it and WHAMMO it wasn't even nearly dead.

Pulled of my wedding ring as within 5 mins. the swelling and pain began in earnest...........so much for being 'the man'!!!!!! I'm now crying like a baby

Best part of the evening however, was the nice hot clam chowder she prepared and the wonderful tasting sculpin.

Before each bite I thought ' You stung me BUT I'm eating you!!!

In all a GREAT evening fishing adventure!!
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM     #2
TheChickenOfTheSea

Name: Hilal
Vessel: Skipjack 20 Open "Almost Done"
Hey Dave nice catch, sounds like a pretty productive trip. Watch those fish you catch in your net, not legal to keep if caught that way. I have heard MDR has been going off for bugs, when you get those limits ill give you the address to send them to :-). Thanks for the reoprt!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM     #3
Dave K.

Name: Dave
Vessel: 33' Bayliner Avanti
Hilal, thanks for the info. I surely didn't know that.......actually, it would have been impossible to get the beast out of the net without being back on shore. No excuse for ignorance though! It is a Catch22 I guess.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM     #4
TheChickenOfTheSea

Name: Hilal
Vessel: Skipjack 20 Open "Almost Done"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
Hilal, thanks for the info. I surely didn't know that.......actually, it would have been impossible to get the beast out of the net without being back on shore. No excuse for ignorance though! It is a Catch22 I guess.
Totally right about a safe release of a fish caught in a hoop net. They can get real tangled in there. Almost impossible sometimes.