Get Bent Sportfishing
Front Page Fish Counts Hot New Reports Tips And Tricks Weather Contact Us
Go Back   Get Bent Sportfishing > FISHING REPORTS AND DISCUSSIONS > West Coast > West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Reports
Register Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 PM     #1
crazychuy06

Name: CHUY
Newport Harbor??????????????

Hey Guys,

It's been a few years since I fished NPH, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

What are some good plastics and colors for Newport?

What are some good leadhead sizes?

Do the colors depend on the season and time of year?

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD SPOTS TO FISH FOR BASS OR HALIBUTS?

Thanks guys for all of your help. It's nice to talk fishing and read fishing reports from locals that are great like you guys.

Thanks,

CHUY
crazychuy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:06 AM     #2
crawford23

Name: Bryan Crawford
Vessel: None, only a car, and it doesn't float
Well I fished Newport Harbor on Saturday morning but all we caught was a dogfish, short halibut, and a Yellowfin Croaker. usually green colored plastics work well for the Spotted Bay Bass. I'm just getting into this fishery myself but I've heard that the Coast Guard dock and PCH bridge are pretty good. we caught our fish at the PCH bridge, but there were quite a few boats fishing the harbor and I didn't see much action at all so it seams like it was a slow day
It\'s a perfect day for fishin
Drinkin beer and tellin lies
Its a lil bit like heaven
When you\'re fishin with the guys
crawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:52 PM     #3
fisha

Name: Dave
i was out at newport harbor sat also........try using brown 3" grubs with the flakes in em (i forgot what the color is called) matched with a 1/4 leadhead. big hammers work well there too. i caught one calico, about 20 spotties and 2 short halibut. for newport lately, that was a slow day........ on thursday i was there and my buddy and i caught over 50 fish at least!! try the rail, pch bridge, both sides of the channel on the back bay side of pch bridge, and try throwing the plastics down the open boat docks, and in between the docks and the boats. just throw the plastic out.......let it sink, then take a few slow turns on the reel and pause for a second.......and so on. vary the speed and retrieval until you find out what works that day!
i have also seen a lot of halibut caught drifting in front of the fun zone/daveys locker area on live bait. dont have a bait tank on my boat, so havent really tried that method......but had a few raked baits one day when we did end up having a few live sardines someone gave us. good luck!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:08 PM     #4
crawford23

Thanks Fisha, I was tossing mostly chartreuse colored baits but we also lost alot of fishing time as our outboard kept cutting out on us so it took awhile to try to get from point A to B.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 PM     #5
fisha

that blows! i'm so glad my old man and i got a little boat of our own to cruise around in, rental stuff can suck sometimes...........we had problems with the old motor on our boat before.......in newport actually!! we were hoopin by the jetty and the old motor crapped out and wouldnt start anymore......so we had to paddle all the way back to the launch ramp at the back bay!!! we didnt have the oar locks on, so it was like trying to paddle a freegin' barge back to the launch.....needless to say, we got a nice new mercury 9.9 after that!! no mo problems!! and no mo back pain!!!
it was the best $600 spent to get that little boat and i've used it a TON! thank god for garage sales!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 PM     #6
grantar2

Name: Arthur Grant
I am looking forward to fishing my little 10 foot Achillies inflatable. Debating wheather to use my 2.5hp outboard or my minkota trolling motor. Both work really well. With the trolling motor I don't have to worry about spilling gas. With the outboard I have reserve power.
grantar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM     #7
crawford23

yeah Fisha...I've been in that position before. When I was fishing on Grantar's boat he told me how he was talking with the guys at vessel assist and brought up that his friend (my uncle) has used them plenty of times. He dropped the boat's name and the guys told him that that boat was a celebrity and they have all heard of it before....so that shows you how many times we've had problems out at sea.

Grantar, that inflatable would work really well in Newport Harbor. I bet you could have some great fishing in that for sandies, spotties, and halibut there.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:20 PM     #8
loganater

Name: matt logan
I fished the bay sat. and caught a variety of fish.4 inch berkley gulp mullets were slammin.Also we trolled a multitude of hard baits for some giant spotties and some decent halibut Pilings and the edge of the moored boats. 25 spotties 8 halibut 1 batray 1yfc
loganater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 AM     #9
fisha

what hard baits were u trolling? where? thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 PM     #10
loganater

Name: matt logan
I was trolling Yo-Zuri 3-4" deep divers.Blue and silver.Also the deep diving rapalas in the fire tiger color.You should try trolling around the moored boats.On the inside and outside edge of the boats was very effective as well in between the boats.You may need to bring a variety of different style baits.Try to find the bait that has good action and stays close to the bottom.Trolling speed is important because some of the baits will pop up and not troll correctly so just find the right speed.The coast gaurd area has alot of grass so the trollers get grass caught on them.Troll near the slips at high tide and in deeper water during the low.At least that is what worked for me.
loganater is offline   Reply With Quote