Acid guide placement

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Batman, December 23, 2003.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I planed to have the guides on my GUSA at 0 degrees, 60degrees, 120 degrees, and 180 degrees going to the right. WHne I was talking to Scott he suggested putting the first guide to the left a little than going to the right so the line would wind itself on. I see how this would work on a levelwind reel but my 15lb reel doesn't have one. Has any one done and Acid wrap the second way? Is there any difference in starting one guide at 0 and one off to the left?

Thanks

Batman

2. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

look at the avatar i have on my posts on tacklethief.com. the one on theleft is intended for a levelwind reel (CT400). and the one on the right is intended for a non levelwind reel (pro gear 550C).

when youre using a levelwind, the rich forehan method is best. when line is being guided to the reel upon retrieval with a levelwind there is a tendency for the line to stack up on one side.for the rod on the left, i spiralled the guides down the right side of the blank. but the first guide is about 10* to the left. this guides the line from right in the center of the blank to the reel, limitting any stacking of the line on one side.

if youre rod is intended for use with a non levelwind reel (rod on the right), you will want to use the O'quinn method. this is the guide placement in the path of least resistance. if this is what you are planning on doing, then you will want to spiral the guides to the left. and you will only need a three guide transition. 60* 120* and 180*. this will give you the "line winding itself to the left" action. you dont want to spiral it to the right, or else you will need 4 or five guides for the transition to keep the line from touching the blank.