Alaskan cruise/fishing.

Discussion in 'Extreme Fishing' started by JeremyTAdams, March 24, 2008.

1. JeremyTAdams

JeremyTAdams Well-Known Member

looking to see if anybody knows if a cruise line that has sport fishing to go from California to Alaska, my uncle is asking me to look since he is now retired and has no idea where to look so i figured what better place to ask than GBSF!, trip length is anything up to 14 days, he wants to catch himself a barn door hali, and is trying to keep it as cheap as possible. hope somebody knows where to look lol Thanks everybody

Jeremy.

2. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Tell him to pickup the TRAVEL + LEISURE Magazine!

3. JeremyTAdams

alright, seems like it would be allot easier than me being on the phone with him for 2 hours haha thanks Joe!

4. moogie

moogie Well-Known Member

Hi Jerry,
    It's Moogie. . .
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to do but it sounds like you guys are going to be on a cruise in Alaska somewhere.
    Most of the cruise lines are "hooked up" with charter boats, so you can book through them or you can check out the charters in your ports of call and book a trip on line.
    Lot's of charter boats in Southeastern Alaska.
    Good luck,
    Moog

5. Gordo Grande

Gordo Grande Well-Known Member

I just took a cruise to Alaska in July, and caught a bunch of Salmon. You'll love the cruise, it's the trip of a lifetime.

All the cruise ships do hook up with charter operations, plus you can also book a charter on your own. Whichever way you go, be sure to book well in advance, because they fill up fast. Booking on your own usually saves you about $10-20, but you're responsible for getting back to the boat on time. If you book through the cruiseline, they're responsible for getting you back before the boat sails. I found that 1/2 day trips ran about $180.

However, if you Uncle is looking to hook into a halibut, he may be out of luck. The money fish up there is really Salmon, and depending on what's running at the time, that's the fish the cruise ship passengers are looking for. That means the charter skippers are all hunting for Salmon, i.e. you'll be doing a lot of trolling. I'd rather be bottom fishing with a rod in my hand waiting for that bite, but the truth of the matter is that a lot of cruise ship passengers aren't that experienced. They captains have a much better chance of putting fish on board if they put out four trolling lines, set the hook, and then hand the rod to the passenger to wind it in. Not exactly what I was looking for, but hey, I was determined to bring some Alaska salmon home.

We were there right between King and Silver season. There were only a few silvers to be had, so we loaded up on pinks. Some of the more experienced guys turned up their noses at them, but hey, I smoked them when I got home, and they were awesome!

If your Uncle really wants some 'butts or lings, I'd think about going up there on a week long fishing charter instead.

Hope this helps. Here's a link to a report I posted at the time:

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/forum/extreme-fishing/14438-alaska.html

#5 Gordo Grande, March 29, 2008
    Last edited: March 29, 2008
  6. Ding A Ling

Ding A Ling Well-Known Member

Alaska Cruise Information

Princess Cruises
    Inside Passage - Roundtrip San Francisco

This itinerary features a 10-day cruise with ports of call in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria B.C. plus glacier-viewing in Tracy Arm Fjord.

Pricing Information
    The following pricing is for the month of May

Interior $1968.40 plus Government Taxes and Fees: $103.82
    Ocean view $2448.40 plus Government Taxes and Fees: $103.82
    Balcony $3648.00 plus Government Taxes and Fees: $103.82
    Mini Suite $7248.00 plus Government Taxes and Fees: $103.82
    Suite $9228.00 plus Government Taxes and Fees: $103.82

1 San Francisco, California 7:00 PM
    2 At Sea
    3 At Sea
    4 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 3:00 PM
    5 Juneau, Alaska 8:00 AM 10:00 PM
    6 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM
    7 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) 5:00 AM 10:00 AM
    8 At Sea
    9 Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 AM 2:00 PM
    10 At Sea
    11 San Francisco, California 7:00 AM

The problem with this is there wont be much time to fish and there is no guarantee that the days he is in Alaska that the weather might be terrible. There is approximately 228 hours involved in the total trip, with only 40.5 hours in ports within the state of Alaska. Some of these stops are as little as 5 hours. Then he needs to add $150.00 - $250.00 per fishing trip rates vary based on time of year and length of trip. Tips, Taxes and other costs involved would also increase the amount spent for this CRUISE.

The other alternative is to fly to Alaska and stay at a lodge with an all inclusive package. The packages available are endless and most lodges will let you customize your stay at little or no extra charge. Here is an example of one offered by Soldotna Bed & Breakfast Lodge.

Fishermen’s Fantasy
    Welcome gift (just mention the package name when you make reservation)
    7 nights lodging with full breakfast
    2 full-days (8-9 hour) Salmon charter on the Kenai or Kasilof River
    1 full-day (8-9 hours) Trophy Rainbow Trout/Salmon Combo/wildlife watching tour on the middle Kenai River
    1 full-day (8-9 hours) Trophy Rainbow Trout/Salmon Combo/wildlife watching tour on the upper Kenai River
    1 full-day (8-11 hours) Halibut charter out of Homer with our own K-Bay Charters
    1 full-day (8-11 hour) Halibut/Salmon Combo (add $60 for Ling Cod) out of Homer with our K-Bay Charters
    An experienced guide for all charters
    All tackle, bait and gear for charters
    Fishing licenses
    All filleting, vacuum packing and freezing of your catch
    2 fish shipping boxes per person
    Complimentary use of rain gear and hip boots for charters as necessary

Prices: per person (double occupancy)
    May, Sept-Oct = $2489
    June & August = $2829
    July = $3249

Airfare prices range from $750.00 - $1800.00 per person round trip depending on the best deal you can find and if you have frequent flyer miles then it’s FREE.

I am in no way endorsing either one of these companies; I am trying to put some information on the table for you to think about. Alaska is a trip of a lifetime and I would look into any and every possibility that is appropriate. I would imagine you might even be able to work out a deal with a cruise line to drop you off in Anchorage on a Monday and pick you up on Friday. The point is research the opportunities available and define the trip itself for your personal objectives. Good Luck in helping your Uncle, and we all want some pictures posted when he gets back.

7. JeremyTAdams

wow thanks everybody! this helps allot! i'll make sure he takes a ton of pictures!

8. moogie

moogie Well-Known Member

Ding, are you a cruiser?

9. Gordo Grande

Gordo Grande Well-Known Member

I was on a Princess cruise similar to the one you mentioned. Ours left from Seattle, and stopped in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, with the trip up Tracy Arm as well. It was spectacular every mile of the way, and Tracy Arm was truly unforgettable.

We loved the trip, but if we had any small complaints at all, it was the lack of time in port. The only long day in port was at Skagway, which is probably because the of the White Pass and Yukon Railroad. I think Princess owns a piece of the action. All the other port stops were 1/2 day or less. Just enough time to get off the boat, do some fishing, and get back on. I really missed seeing those cities. In fact, the stop in Victoria was from 6pm to midnight, after eveything closed.

Still, it was a great cruise, and I would definitely do it again. My fishing was in Juneau and Ketchikan. The weather was a little snotty in Juneau, but that didn't stop us from fishing. Ketchikan was beautiful, smooth and glassy water and 80 degree temps.

10. Brad100

Brad100 Well-Known Member

ok...

ok, I've done both (cruise Alaska and fishing lodge in Alaska). Cruising is not really conducive to good fishing for reasons previously mentioned.

Next time, we're going to fly to Valdez, stay in a motel and hire a charter boat in advance. Much cheaper and lots to do in town when you're done fishing each day. If you don't want to go with a guide, you can rent a boat in the harbor. Also, if you want, you can drive to fish the rivers, etc. I'd also plan for a 6 or 7 day trip in case the weather gets nasty. If you're gonna go, might as well stay for a while.

He'll have fun anyway he chooses to do it. Alaska is a great place!

11. Ding A Ling

Ding A Ling Well-Known Member

No way Jose

I'm a fly boy, get there fast!

12. MDS

MDS Well-Known Member

If you take a cruise, bring a rod with you. There are salmon in the harbor at every stop. Ketchikan, at the rivermouth under the bridge. Check the pond in the trailer park in Skagway. It's full of fish in July. You'll see fish jumping in the ships wake all week. Cruise doesn't give you enough time to fish halibut.