CORK PUPPIES

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by greyghost, May 14, 2009.

1. COfishnfiend

COfishnfiend Well-Known Member

"just measure the reel seat"

Maybe its just me,but it seems more likely it needs to fit the general location of the mounted reel...so I would think measuring the rod would work better. ;) The clamping bolts will make the adjustment to the Cork Puppy.
    Chuck

2. Bigfish420

Bigfish420 Active Member

Man Im gettin some of these right away!! I was pissed watching my cork get worked on a 5 day last year but this will do the trick thanks for posting

3. walkerman

walkerman Well-Known Member

you are correct...they have 3 sizes, which are based upon the rod diameter, and NOT the reel seat/clamp. The holes where the bolts go are adjustable. You may need new, shorter, carriage bolts, if you want to use the nuts that come with the reel clamp (usually rounded and cover the end of the bolt).....unfortunately, I can't find a place that sells them, so I will have to do some modifying. Otherwise, you can just use a plain nut, as in the first picture....but that leaves a couple of sharp places to cut yourself.

4. dinventura

dinventura Well-Known Member

cork puppy

Do you (or anybody at GB) know if they'll fit a Saltist 30T without having to use those useless bolts that come with the reel?

5. walkerman

Do you (or anybody at GB) know if they'll fit a Saltist 30T without having to use those useless bolts that come with the reel?

I got some of them from Charkbait, and they came without ANY hardware. So, you'll need the bolts on the reel to install them. IOW, they just replace the bottom part of the reel clamp....everything else is the same.

6. hawkburger

hawkburger Well-Known Member

LOL !!!!! Yeah , That's something I don't need to buy!!!

7. hawkburger

hawkburger Well-Known Member

DL

Whats crack-a-lackin?

8. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

I was at Charkbait a while back( quite a while) and I saw something that looked like a cork puppy with a trigger grip on it,(hanging on a wall display) if that helps:dunno: .......:cool2:H

9. walkerman

It seems that if you want to use them with the bolts that came with the reel, you have to either cut the bolts down, or change to other bolts and nuts, like in the first picture. Neither seems like a good solution. If you cut the bolts down, and later want to go back to the original reel clamp, you're SOL. If you do it like in the first picture, it looks like you could cut yourself on the bolt/nut.
    I'm still looking for a solution.

10. greyghost

greyghost Well-Known Member

you know that seems to be the only problem with these is the bolt thing, mostly the ones that come with the reel won't work, i just took the ones that came with what ever reel i'm going to use, then go to home depot and match them with longer ones, less than five bucks.. very much worth it.

11. lasparky11

lasparky11 New Member

Clarkbait has them, plus there cheaper than anyone else. I have 3 of them mounted on 800M/Saltiga 30T, 800L/Saltiga 20, & a 800XL/ProGear 255. In all 3 cases I have to machine down the lip of the cork puppy. I'm using a Tib 3 piece clamp (similar to shimano's). The problem is the cork puppy hits the clamp & won't tighten down. All 3 of my rod's have shrink wrap where the reel sits. If your reels came with studs it's no problem, but if your using a after market clamp you might have a problem with getting it to tighten down.