Daiwa Luna Line Capacity ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by bing!, November 1, 2006.

1. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

Lost a complete rig this weekend, dropped it from my yak. Couldnt eat, couldnt sleep, I thought I was getting sick. So, I got me some medicine :)

Website says 235 of 12 pound#, 145 of 14#, and 150 of 17# test. So I went to Lincoln Tackle and told the owner to spool it with 120 yards of powerpro in 50# and top it off with P-line 12#. I turn my back to look at the some lures and the guy tells me, "how many yards did you say you wanted in here?". I look around and its full with 80 yards of the braided line. "What the?"

We re-spooled it with 50 yards of the Powerpro 50# and 80 yards of P-line 12#. Thats all she wrote.

[​IMG]
    That alloy thumb bar is just plain beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    I like this view :)
    [​IMG]

/bing

#1 bing!, November 1, 2006
    Last edited: November 1, 2006
  2. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

Thats a sweet reel Bing. Dont let go of it this time.
    People still shop at lincoln tackle? That guy is always a jerk, suprised anyone goes back to him.

3. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

The lunas are sweet reels, I have a few of the predecessors. I'm taking it you got the 253.

Something doesn't add up on the line....It was near full with 80 yards of power pro, but you were able to get 50 yards of powerpro and 80 yards of mono on it?

I think power pro in 50# is similar to 12-14 lb mono in diameter.

4. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Sweet reel Bing. Buy a rod leash also. The $10-$15 looks like a bargain now, doesn't it?

5. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

I have rod leashes. Ive dumped 3-4 times and never lost a rig. Before I lost this one, I would unleash the rod that I was currently using. Usually I can catch a rod with my spider like reflexes :)

Am now devising a less obtrusive leash arrangement for "rod in use".

stubbs - actually, I had 80 yards in there with about a quarter inch to spare when we stopped the initial spooling. The guy putting on line thought I was crazy asking to get 200 in it. Pulled out the braided, respooled with the 50 yards braided and topped off with 80 yards of 12#.

/bing

#5 bing!, November 2, 2006
    Last edited: November 2, 2006
  6. peterotto

peterotto Guest

If you topped it off with 80 yards of 12#. What is the point of having Powerpro backing?

7. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

yeah its probably easier to just go straight mono...or almost straight spectra with maybe a 6 ft top shot

8. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

I put braided backing on most of my reels so that I only change the top shot for the next ten years. It only costs 4 bucks and change to get the braided spooled at my local tackle shop. The 80 yards on top is for casting and fighting the fish. Less mono to replace, less mono in the trash (pollution) and less time re-spooling the mono which I do manually.

Supposedly, mono deteriorates over time. If ever I get into the backing, I know its still good.

/bing

#8 bing!, November 2, 2006
    Last edited: November 2, 2006
  9. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

Hey Bing, the reason why you still got crappy amount of line on the reel, is that your using too thick of a Spectra! Spectra just like mono gets thicker as the strengths increase. What you need is 20 lb Power Pro, and not 65 or 50!

10. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Bing, you really got to leash your stuff down.......gets too expensive if you don't!:( I use like all spectra and about 10 yards mono topshot! I have 2 rod leashes left for sale at $5.00 each I was selling them at my yardsale they're new!

#10 sourcreamnjive, November 26, 2006
    Last edited: November 26, 2006
  11. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

The reel box says 235 yard of 12#. 50 pound powerpro is supposed to be equal to 12#. If I used 20# powerpro and got what the reel box says was the capacity, I'd have 500 yards of 20# and change. I would have changed the powerpro line test if I knew I didnt have that much capacity.

I like to fish mono. I only use the braided backing as a long term filler. Otherwise, I'd have to throw away mono backing every few months, and I dont want to do that if it can be avoided.

/bing (who is a greenie)

12. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

The reel box says 235 yard of 12#. 50 pound powerpro is supposed to be equal to 12#. If I used 20# powerpro and got what the reel box says was the capacity, I'd have 500 yards of 20# and change. I would have changed the powerpro line test if I knew I didnt have that much capacity.

I like to fish mono. I only use the braided backing as a long term filler. Otherwise, I'd have to throw away mono backing every few months, and I dont want to do that if it can be avoided.

/bing (who is a greenie)

1. WEll yeah bing, but you complained in your original posts of not having enough line capacity. And now you don't mind the shorter amount of line on the reel?

2. By your own admission from trial and error, the reels line capacity is inaccurate, so I follow the specs now?

3. To be Safe in Saltwater fishing, a reel of that size should have at least 200 Yards.

#12 KaiMan, December 1, 2006
    Last edited: December 1, 2006
  13. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Just got a Saltist STT30TH spooled with 65 pound Powerpro which should be equivalent to 16# mono. Only got 270 in the reel when it should have taken 300 yards of 20#.

No biggie. Just need to make a mental note that I may lose 20% stated line capacity on Daiwa's

14. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

1. WEll yeah bing, but you complained in your original posts of not having enough line capacity. And now you don't mind the shorter amount of line on the reel?

- complained about not having rated capacity. I can live with 120 yards of line for the fishing that I do.

2. By your own admission from trial and error, the reels line capacity is inaccurate, so I follow the specs now?

- Duhno how to answer this one. I aint trying to make a statement, just reporting my experience.

3. To be Safe in Saltwater fishing, a reel of that size should have at least 200 Yards.[/quote]

- I agree.

15. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

go fishin!!!:rofl:

16. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Agreed, and post a report and pics of what you caught on the fancy new reel!
    My Saltiga/Saltist 40 takes 300 yds #50 spectra and 160yds #50 mono or something like that .....LOL:rofl: :rofl: and I only really need 120 yds mono for what I do.

17. Ding A Ling

Ding A Ling Well-Known Member

Which website please provide a link

You never answered this variable, which model did you get?

Looking into this situation by researching data. Thanks,

#17 Ding A Ling, March 14, 2007
    Last edited: March 14, 2007
  18. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

Read the forum title. it reads "REVIEWS"! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

I have the 253.

Here is the link. Daiwa | Baitcasting Reels and click on luna.

NOT for ding-a-ling but for those who click this thread and are whining about this review thread:

No prob here. Its a review of line capacity. This thread has nothing to do with anything else and yes, I will go fishing. If you dont want to hear about Daiwa reel capacity, dont click the freakin thread :)

BTW, I was fishing last month and caught this guy amongst others.
    [​IMG]
    Havent fished since. But I have been bumbling around with other stuff :) which made my ass sore and I ca't sit in a kayak for another couple of weeks :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    [​IMG]

/bing

#19 bing!, March 14, 2007
  20. Ding A Ling

Ding A Ling Well-Known Member

Daiwa Luna Line Capacity ?!?!?

Data provided from Charkbait.com

Model 203 235 yards 8# 205 yards 12#
    Model 253 235 yards 12# 200 yards 15#
    Model 300 320 yards 15# 190 yards 20#

Data provided from Daiwa | Baitcasting Reels

TD LUNA 253 12/235, 14/195, 17/150

Right off the bat data from Charkbait and data from Daiwa doesn’t quite add up
    195 yards of 14# (Daiwa) versus 200 yards of 15#(Charkbait)
    I didn’t know 15# was smaller than 14#

Power Pro Email I sent to them.

What are the complete spec's of 50# powerpro specifically the exact diameter +/- .00?

Their response in less than 2 minutes wow excellent customer response!!

Dear Kingfisher Club Member, The diameter is 0.014 inches. Don't know the average deviation. Maybe if we understood why you are asking, we might be able to help some other way. Thanks for using PowerPro and have a good day! Ken Casady -- Customer Support

Email I sent to Daiwa

Is the following data correct for the Luna

Model 203 235 yards 8# 205 yards 12#
    Model 253 235 yards 12# 200 yards 15#
    Model 300 320 yards 15# 190 yards 20#

If this data is incorrect please provide the correct data and please give the complete and exact specifications on the line you are using to determine the capacity. For example, "P-Line Original SeaBlue copolymer 8# test".

Well see how they respond and when.

1st edit ________________________________________________________
    Their response.

Hi

Here are the ratings for those models
    TDLUNA203 10/205 12/180 14/150
    TDLUNA253 12/235 14/195 17/150
    TDLUNA300 14/320 17/245 20/190
    If you have any questions you can contact customer service toll free at 800-736-4653.

Regards,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    | Toby Baar
    | Customer Service
    | (800) 736-4653
    ¿ <°)))))><

Since their response did not answer the question of exactly what type of line is used to determine capacity I called their number to find out exactly which line. Spoke to Marie and she was very nice. They didn’t know so they are going to call me back.

2nd edit ________________________________________________________
    I also emailed back and asked this;
    Thank you for your quick response but I still need the answer to this request,

please give the complete and exact specifications on the line you are using to determine the capacity. For example, "P-Line Original SeaBlue copolymer 8# test".

Their response was;
    HI

They use tournament grade mono. It is thinner than the mono we use here. You can expect to get 10-20 yds less line than it states. If you have any questions you can contact customer service toll free at 800-736-4653.

Regards,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    | Toby Baar
    | Customer Service
    | (800) 736-4653
    ¿ <°)))))><

I have no idea what tournament grade mono is??????

To be continued!

#20 Ding A Ling, March 14, 2007