Daiwa Luna Line Capacity ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by bing!, November 1, 2006.

1. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

Thanks Ding-a-ling.

2. Ding A Ling

Ding A Ling Well-Known Member

More info please see #20 (permalink) I have edited this post with updated information.

3. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

I'M SO CONFUSED:slap:

4. Ding A Ling

Don’t be confused, 80 yards is 34% of 240 yards, which is way off. I am trying to get the specs of the line Daiwa is using. Then I will be able to determine if the spectra is comparable to the mono in diameter. My suspicion is that the 50# spectra is not the equivalent of the 12# mono. I say this because the spectra I use has the following qualities, 50# spectra is about the same as 18# mono. Until Daiwa tells us what kind of line they use I can not determine what is really going on. Don’t be confused just know that 34% isn’t right and something is wrong.

#24 Ding A Ling, March 14, 2007
    Last edited: March 14, 2007
  5. drangler

drangler Well-Known Member

Hi Bing,

Actually I believe you are wrong, and I dont mean that in a offensive manner. I have Penn, Daiwa, and Shimano reels. I use Powerpro most of the time. Its good stuff and really popular here in FL. Take a mental note, Jerry Brown line one and Izorline are white spectra, they are not colored or coated. Powerpro is both colored and coated. You loose some line cap that way. Its not as thin as they claim. 65lb powerpro is probably equivellant to 16lb test, but probably more like a p-line CXX xtra strong, a thick line. NOt like Jinkai. I got 250lb on my saltist and my torium 16. No biggie more then enough for jigging butterfly jigs.

As for the Luna I have a 300, spool it with 30lb braid 150 yds and you have plenty of line cap. Top it off with 20 lb mono and its one sweet 20 lb rig. I also have a 103. I put 100 yds of 15 lb braid and another 40 yds of 12 lb p-line premium. It is a very nice 12lb light jigging for inshore trout, reds and flounder.

The only problem I see with my luna is that they dont cast as far as my low profile reels, but then again I have never had a round baitcaster that can cast better then a low profile reel. Bear before you comment on that, let me state that I can outcast my record 60 with my Revo STX so I still stand by that statement, even though my record casts pretty nice. Actually better then my Luna 300. :eek:

But then again we have not talked yet about my Calcutta TE 300:rolleyes:

6. drangler

Jinkai is a excellent example of Tournament grade. It is thinner then almost any mono I have seen including P-Line premium that I use often. But then again you pay nearly $16 for a 500 yds spool of mono. Ouch I dont think so. I will agree to loose 10 - 20% of my line cap and maybe drop a level in my spectra backing to compensate.

7. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Something I have always wondered about, and Dangler is making that point.
    Whenever someone refers to line on this board it is done by its weight rating, ie #20 or # 45 etc.

Now as you all know there is a very substantial difference in line diameters for the same weight. For some years now the diameter of the line is what has mattered to me primarily.

As an example, the #45 line I normally use can vary in diameter from 52 mm to 65 mm for the cheaper stuff. That looks like 25% variance between the top and the bottom, a huge difference in capacity of a reel!

8. drangler

Case in point. 8lb Gamma line I use is usually 29mm diameter. P-Line Premium is 23mm in diameter. Of course the P-Line breaks at around 6 - 7lb when I checked it at home and the Gamma is closer to 13lb breaking. So take it all in stride. Corr is right. Usually first look at the mm diameter and then the spec of the weight. as for with Gamma I would look at the mm and then the weight and if able drop down in weight. My Calcutta TE DC is spooled with 8lb gamma, instead of 10lb gamma. Gave me a extra 30 yds that I need fishing for reds inshore.

9. AguaYak

AguaYak Well-Known Member

Here is the page for P line specs
    PowerPro - Catch The Power!

Not necessarily accurate as we all found out. I checked Yo-Zuri's site find that in its case, a mono/flouro hybrid, that it line is under rated officially. They say you can drop a couple line sizes if you want say an actual 20# test. Their 20 breaks at 26 or something line that. It is listed on their site.

It seems pretty much a buyer beware, and we should do like Corr says, although in my case I look for the lb test first the the line size and adjust from their using line size.

Izorline does not list their specs but say why other manf's sizes are bigger.

10. bing!

bing! Well-Known Member

So I guess its not the reel maker at fault here. Its the fishing line peops.

Thanks guys!

11. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Not really, ......the reel manufacturer should just qualify their claim in more detail, like; 235 yds of 0.32mm line (about 14 lbs) or something like that. They also know that the diameter is what matters, not the weight rating.

Possibly its a bit of a historical thing as it is only the past number of years that there are so many different gauge lines available.

12. AguaYak

AguaYak Well-Known Member

Corr, some actually do like Penn.

113H 475/30 435/0.55 3.25-1 28

I also remember seeing this with various sizes included on some spinning as well as convenstional reels with other manufacturers. So it looks like some have already woken up.

13. Ding A Ling

I would like to thank drangler, Corr and AguaYak for shedding light on this subject. Unfortunately Daiwa never responded either by phone or email with the specifications of the line they used to determine reel capacity. However, by their own admission they do use a tournament grade mono line which is smaller in diameter than regular mono.

I believe it is a combination of both the reel manufacturers and the line manufacturers which contribute to this discrepancy. However in this particular case I must admit Powerpro truly stepped up to the plate with the intention to support their customer. I can not say the same about Daiwa. In a perfect world it would be great if all the specifications were provided by all the manufacturers in regard to their products. It would be great to go online to any of the line manufacturers and actually see the specifications for their different products.

14. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Well-Known Member

2nd that Ding. My experience with PP is that I divide the # rating by 2.66 and that's usually my mono capacity. When it comes to Daiwa and Avet reels it usually fills more capacity. Shimano and Accurate is just right or a little less. Just my .02 cents.

15. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Where'd you get that formula?:dunno:

16. socalahi

socalahi New Member

True that! I agree %100. I have all 5 of of my Avets, 3 Saltigas 2 Saltists, and my luna 300 backed with spectra. I went with 30# on my luna for the spectra tho.

17. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

I wonder if mono is in any way a bigger pollutant then braid, in fact I suspect that braid may be worse as its thinner and stronger, both are synthetic fibres.

I regularly replace my mono topshot, but as a result of wear & tear, no other deterioration.