DAIWA SALTIST REEL

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Corr, December 8, 2005.

1. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

In my youth you could use any type of reel, as long as it was a Pen49 (a) and did they last & last and pull many Yellowtail. I wonder how many of you still know what they look like?

After an absence from fishing for a number of years I started again in 1990 and quickly saw that there were far better and lighter Japanese reels around and bought a Daiwa SL50SH. I now own 4 of them and the original one I bought is very badly worn, but anyone who sees what I do with them, will understand that they are extremely rugged.

We now again have newer generation reels, with anti reverse bearings, smoother retrieves, butter smooth drag systems and stronger everything.

Last week I impulsively purchased a Daiwa Saltist 40. It has a beautiful drag, very smooth and it breaks free without any snatching, has lots of lb pull, it is probably what most anglers dream of in a drag. Guess what, I have an unexpected problem, you can not tighten it as much as I want. I now realize that the “old snatchy†drag systems that require a lot of pull to break free, are more suitable for my fishing then these fancy “new generation†ones. I don’t think the drag is defective, it is just that I do not think it is designed to produce more then a certain amount of pull, and you can not over tighten it, like some other reels.

I am sure the drag will quickly tire a small Tuna or Yellowtail in deep water, but when you want to tame a Yellowtail near underwater structure, you MUST stay in control of the fish, not the other way round. If he succeeds to get his head facing away from you, even a small one will pull you in to the kelp. These creatures are immensely strong (when they want to be), determined. and have an instinct to head for structures.

What I am saying is not a criticism of the reel, just an illustration of how different the needs of fishing can be.

Does anyone else own one of these reels and what do you think of it?

2. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

though i am also a daiwa fan myself, i agree that with most of their new reels that are "designed for use with spectra lines" you will not be able to get the drag to lock down completely. maybe check out some of the midrange shimano line like the torium. they are comparable to each other but i believe the torium will lock down better than the saltist. or you may even dabble in the world of leverdrags.

3. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

pEsCaDoR
    I have not heard guys that have the Torium complain, so I guess you're right at that.

I have usually spent my time making drags smoother, now Iwill have to learn to do the opposite.

I already have it better then it was at first.

A "friend" suggested 600 grit water paper washers...LOL

4. obm7

obm7 Well-Known Member

I have a Saltist 30T, love the power and freespool. I can lock it down completely except it take more turns on the star drag than old Sealine to lock. I would suggest check a few others at the shop and see if you have any problems.

Also for the your type of application which I assume you need the sudden tied drag to turn the YT's head
    check Avet's. They are lever drag but free spool awesome and you could go from Strike to Full drag lock in a matter of a second

5. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Mine is a 40 H, 6.4:1, must look up the difference.

Very interesting that yours can lock. Does it have 4 washers?

I can not see any apparent reason why it wont tighten solidly and have had the mechanism on my workbench 4 times now. I am going to turn it in to a "dry" system using Smooth drag washers and see what happens.

I think it is a nice reel, it freespools beautifully, casts well (needs a fairly heavy weight) and pulls fish nicely as well, once you stopped them.

6. JeremyTA

JeremyTA Well-Known Member

wouldn't know the problem..im to broke to buy one hahaha<!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

7. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

Corr,

The known issue from what I have read from other boards deals with too much grease getting into bevelle washers. Decreasethe grease a bit in these areas, and one should get more drag.

8. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the drag and I will look at the lip on the washers.

The drag had the problem from day one. I got it to an acceptable level by removing grease from the washers as you also suggested. That grease is (Teflon I think)put there by the manufacturer. I also replaced one of the fiber washers with a “Smooth drag†one and reduced the space between the star lever and the last washer. I have also got used to fishing with a bit looser drag and actually find it acceptable now. Only when the fish gets close to shore do I have to tighten it up more, but it seems OK now.

Just beware, these fiber washers break easily!

Just something else you may find interesting, the clutch lever is made of a metal shaft in to a plastic lever. This breaks very quickly and the shaft starts to rotate within the plastic then the whole thing does not work. They are now sending me the second replacement so I can’t complain about the service.

They will have to re design the part.

I am still not sure if I really like the reel or not but time will tell. If anyone is considering purchasing a Saltist, chat to me first as I am using it everyday and should by then have a fair opinion on it.Edited by: Corr

9. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Ohhh, to fish everyday! You're so lucky....[​IMG]

10. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Not entirely true, in practice 4 to 5 days per week sometimes only for 2 or 3 hours at a time, in Summer.

The fishing here is very physical, if I fish a few consecutive days, all day, I crawl home[​IMG]

11. Sinker

I will say that this years Saltist is much improved. The handle is now metal and the slop has been taken out - at least this is my experience.

KaiMan nailed it - it is a wet drag system and has to much grease. Changing out the drags will work as well or just clean up the ones that are in there. Does not take much grease.

Thinking about picking one of these reels up because I can't afford a Saltiga. Oh who am I kidding I can't afford a Saltist either.
    :embarassed:

12. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Sinker
    Isn’t a Domain owner the cyber equivalent of a Land Barron?[​IMG]

13. Sinker

If that's the case someone screwed up letting me open this site huh - [​IMG]

14. drangler

drangler Well-Known Member

I know its late but just my .02 cents to COrr. I had a little prob with the drag on the Saltist. It was adequate but not quite up to parr.

FIrst of all yeah it has too much grease on it. I cleaned it off and helped somewhat. Now I just made a upgrade two months ago and it has helped significantly.

check SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything *** I know you got a washer from them earlier but look for the carbontex ones. Get the whole set for saltiga/saltist. When you get them put grease on them but wipe them clean with a soft cloth after letting the grease soak in for a day. Then just simply replace the stock washers. You dont have to replace any thing else. THey are the same thickness and much better made. NOt paper like as the daiwa seemed to be. I got my Saltist crankin out 27 lb of drag now. Which is way more then I need.

Hope this helps COrr. I really like the reel for the price. I have a Saltiga 30T also But dont feel that the saltist cant handle anything the Saltiga can.

15. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

This is an archive thread that been given CPR:clap: by the Doctor:)

I now use the reel everyday, the drag is still as I did it and is OK. If I need to work on it I will buy the full set Smoothdrag washers.

It remains a very different reel to the SL50SH's (and other mod Daiwa's) I use and also different to the Saltiga I use periodically. It casts differently, liking a 20% heavier weight which combined with the weight of the reel, is killing on the old muscles, bearing in mind I "spin fish" with it.

What I like about it is that it is robust, and not as expensive as the Saltiga, so I don't mind too much if it gets a bit bashed about. It is actually looking very wrecked already.

To me the Saltist is a similar or substitute reel to a Satiga, just cheaper, though it does not cast the same, nor are the insides generally similar.

I subsequently put my Saltiga handle on this reel as the Ball Bearings will make the handle last a bit longer....I hope.

The replacement clutch lever which they sent me (a Saltiga part) is perfect, so we now know that those parts are interchangeable.

#15 Corr, October 22, 2006
    Last edited: October 22, 2006
  16. drangler

drangler Well-Known Member

COrr, I have been thinking about what you said above. Mainly about how heavy it is and your aching muscles...

Problem is for this line class I am not finding a better reel. A torium or trinidad will weigh about the same. So would a saltiga. Maybe shave a 1/2 oz thats it. I have not taken apart my saltiga to tell the difference between the two so I cant comment on that.

The only reel that might be able to replace it and be lighter is a Avet MXJ or MXL, and you have the choice of a two speed for less then the price of a Trini or Saltiga, and you can cast it as far as you like. I am not super crazy on avets but they do what they are meant to decently. Mine have yet to give me a problem, but I know guys that have them and hate the reels for different issues. The MXL will dump out 14 lb of drag at max with maintaning freespool. So that might not be strong enough in Drag for what you do. I am not sure.

A last choice I think might be the new Torque 100. It is coming out soon. IF it is a well built as my 300, you would love it. It weighs the same as a Trini 12 and will dump out close to 30lb of drag. Spool it with spectra and I would imagine you would have a killer light tackle reel for heavier line.

P.S.
    The gears inside my Torque are amazing. I used to Hate Penn. Their products the last few years have changed my mind on them.

17. Thresher

Thresher Well-Known Member

Saltists rocks period! Mine are beat up and scratched to hell but still operate smoothly. I still use my 30T's for both 30 and 40 lb line and have had no problems to date. I've heard some people fishing 50 lb line on the 30T with no failures. Keep in mind they probably have alot of spectra and an extremely short topshot. They are easy to maintain and switching out the drags should be no problem. Here's a great tutorial:
    daiwa saltist 40 - the easiest drag upgrade ever - Bloodydecks.com
    Drangler, I've been contemplating those penn torques but man are they expensive!

#17 Thresher, October 22, 2006
  18. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

I can't blame the tackle for my old body:rofl:

I guess its always a compromise some way or another, until I can convince Daiwa to, make a reel to my specifications. And on the positive side, there was a time when a Penn 49 was the one and only Rolls Royce of reels that you could use.....reels have really progressed from then.

On Thursday I caught 3 Yellowtail on it, so why should I complain.

Thresher, I fish mine with 0,55 mm line, 45 lb! At the end of the season Ill post a picture of mine, its allready all beat up, If I show you mine, you show me yours ,remember I fish on rocks!

#18 Corr, October 22, 2006
  19. ODH33

tales of tails...

so they yellows have found your shores? can't wait for more of your great reports

20. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Hahahaha,
    Here's a report.
    Yesterday had small shoals of between 1 and 10 fish passing me nearly all day in very nice conditions. After 2 hours I left because they would not look at anything I threw at them. In fact they mostly just ran away.

Then went back at about 15h00, found same fish, passing even more regularly, some real line breakers, and guess what..............?
    (read here tomorrow for the next exciting installment)