Hawaii surf fishing...

Discussion in 'Hawaii USA' started by tiggere, August 28, 2006.

1. tiggere

tiggere Well-Known Member

Got a trip to Hawaii in May of 2007...going to Oahu for 3 days and Maui for 6 days...I won't be able to afford a boat outing...anyone got some good surf fishing spots I might need to try...keep in mind this will be my 10th anniversary so I am probably going to only get one shot at this...better give me the honey hole first...

2. photoguy

photoguy Well-Known Member

On the aniversary! Good luck buddy.

3. JAkuHed

JAkuHed Member

Never say never! 2 site you can visit before your trip:
    1st one is on Maui
    http://www.top-10-hosting.com/~alohablu/sport-fishing.php
    2nd one is on Oahu.
    http://live-bait.com/
    The Captain of the Live Bait, Shannon Frazier, used to fish San Diego
    The thing to do is to contact them now and see if there are some open charters on the dates that you will be on the islands.
    10th anniversery? Take mama with you! You can fish and she can check out the buff deck hands!

4. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Good luck, Tiggere. I can't give you any honey holes, but Jim may have something there, Take the wife. She may like the fishing and she will certainly like the scenery.

5. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Tiggere,

While your wife is shopping in Lahaina, try the block wall to the right of "Bubba Gump's Shrimp" near the surfing breakwall. There's SkipJacks there. I also hooked into what looked to be about a 2 foot barracuda that broke off. It may have been a pipefish.

Also in Lahaina, the beach to the left of "Cheeseburger in Paradise" had big ole' perch of some type swimming in the beach break. You can see them. They weren't going for our lures, though. Good luck!

6. tiggere

YakSailor...I assume I will be able to rent equipment down there...is this true...decent stuff or is it crap...do I need to find a spot in my luggage to carry my surf rod and some tackle...probably use shrimp and squid for bait...just about everything will eat that...thanks for the spots...If I can't talk the wife into a head boat charter I know she will sit on the beach with me...

7. YakSailor

Tiggere,
    You can rent rod/reel combos at the Big Reel Fish Co. in Honolua. I think the cost was $15/day or $45/week. Not sure of the quality. I opted to cheap-out and buy combos at Longs Drugstore in Lahaina. I thought that I couldn't bring them back, but I put them in cardboard tubes and was able to check them as baggage. We just used lures. You can see what we caught in my photo gallery.

8. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

I would just bring over say an 8lb spinning reel and buy a cheap rod over there. Once you use the rod, just leave it there. Its not worth the hassle of bringing it back. You can buy rods at Sports Authority, Walmart, Longs, Sears, or a tackle shop. You will be surprised how many places actually carry fishing stuff.

You are dead on about shrimp and squid. Personally I normally got a wider array of fish with shrimp vs squid.

Fishing will be better in Maui vs Oahu. When on Oahu, will you have a rental car? I would assume while you are staying in Oahu you will probably be near waikiki. You can walk to the Ala Moana beach park and fish there. Your wife can be shopping across the street at the Ala Moana shopping center. If you have a rental car and would like to drive. Drive out to the North shore area (from turtle bay area to Hale Ewa, you will pass through Sunset Beach, Bonzai Pipeline, Waimea bay, etc) just stop anywhere and fish. Just a word of caution, the locals tend to prey upon rental cars. Leave your car empty and carry cameras etc...Its a relatively safe area though.

If you do opt for the north shore area try to do it in the morning...The parking lots at like Waimea bay fill up pretty fast.

Pic from the north shore area.
    [​IMG]

Waimea Bay
    [​IMG]

#8 stubbs, August 29, 2006
    Last edited: August 29, 2006
  9. tiggere

As for fishing on Oahu...probably won't have much time as I am only there for 3 days...fly in around 2/3pm get checked in...play on the beach...get rental car the next day and do the island...shop and check out downtown and hardrock on the last day then fly to Maui around 12 noon on the fourth day...then I should have plenty of time on my hands...money permitting I will go on one of the headboats...otherwise I will be in the surf...taking the reel and buying the rod is a good idea...might be able to pawn it off on a local for half price before I leave...

10. YakSailor

Here's another Maui spot that I forgot to mention....Dragon's Teeth.

About 50 yards West of Dragon's Teeth, past the labyrinth, there's a sheer drop-off of about 30 feet straight into the ocean. It looked pretty deep there. I know it was good spot because there were about a dozen pole holders permanently cemented into the lava rock. Our lightweight gear was no match for whatever was down there.

Dragons' Teeth:
    [​IMG]

11. tiggere

So did you fish there and get broke off...looks like there would be TONS of hangups at the bottom if its that rough looking on top...where is this in relation to kaanapali beach...I will go try it at least...ain't skeered...