Here Phishy Phishy...Aloha Spirit 6-27

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by venturarodandlure, June 28, 2011.

1. venturarodandlure

venturarodandlure Well-Known Member

Went out yesterday on the Aloha on one of Phishy's DWP charters. The group consisted of Mitch, co-worker and fellow chartermaster Tom, Jose(Chavescatches), myself and a handful of DWP workers from the West Valley yard....I fished with these guys a few times last year. Very relaxed charters...
    My day started by leaving for the dock an hour early thinking we were leaving at 4:00am not 5:00..Back to the house for a bit to make some coffee and breakfast...Second attempt, get over to CI Sportfishing and load the boat with my 5 rigs and giant tackle box...Head out into the chop which flattens out fairly quickly. I have high hopes that I am gonna catch something nice today..I told Mitch that we have never really caught our target fish when we fish together but I thought today was gonna be the day.
    We pull up to our first spot and start drifting live squid. Fairly quickly Tom hooked up and was fighting what turned out to be a nice flatty. It came to gaff and was soon flopping on the deck..Things were looking promising. Someone hooked up a nice seabass shortly after and it was looking like game on. Then I was on on something heavy. Under, over, around the boat..I think it's finally starting to come to color..Its a, it's a, it's a batray..Crap.
    We made a move and found some barracuda that wanted to bite. For most people that is. I wasn't one of them. Jigs, bait, it didn't matter. If I was throwing, they weren't biting.
    The day was getting towards the end and I figured it probably wasn't gonna happen for me, but then Shawn found us a nice eddy were the current was coming through and after a few minutes someone was bendo on a nice grade seabass. We stayed on this spot and the pick kept inproving. Long soaks were the key here..I watched Mitch get bit and land a nice seabass(a little smaller than some of the others but still very nice). Now I'm thinking it should be my turn soon when I see Mitch hooked up again. This time he is on a larger model and after a few minutes it is bouncing on the deck. A nice fat seabass. Not giving up I grab my old Sabre and after a long soak start getting tap,tap, tapped. I let it eat it and reel up a little and pull back and I am on. The 196 is doubled over and my little reel is peeling line. But his will was broken soon and then mine was hitting the deck as well. What a good feeling! The day was pretty much over after that as Shawn had already put in overtime for us. I'm not sure how many fish we got but I got 1, Mitch got 2, Jose got 2, and Tom got one and the halibut. I had a good time, ate some awesome pastrami, gave away a raffle rod and actually caught a seabass. Great day on the ocean!

Attached Files:

2. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

Glad to see u finally got your SECOND WSB fishing with me!

Some great fisherman on this trip...not a single fish farmed..awesome times.

3. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Oh yea!!! Mitch coming back in force! Good to see buddy!

4. freshone49

freshone49 Well-Known Member

alright, way to go!!

5. jjazz76

jjazz76 Well-Known Member

Aloha is a fishy boat...very nice

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

thanx for sharing!!!!

7. Dave K.

Dave K. Well-Known Member

Great report and pics!!

Thanks

8. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Well-Known Member

9. bajadave

GREAT JOB GUYS!

10. TheFerret

TheFerret Well-Known Member

Good job on the right kind! I'm debating Aloha or Island Spirit some time this week. Advantage - Aloha

11. brick_haus

brick_haus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a greatr time for all..

12. megamonster

megamonster Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting that seabass that's going to be the beginning of a great year well done

13. potto

potto Well-Known Member

Good job gents

14. C Minus

C Minus Member

15. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Excellent job guys
    looks like a great day :)

16. BassAssasin805

BassAssasin805 Well-Known Member

The Aloha is a great boat with a great crew. They always put in the extra effort to get you on fish! We had a charter on Saturday the 25th and had a great time. The target species didn't want to play, but it wasn't because Shawn didn't try. It just wasnt in the cards. Everyone came home with bags of fish and big smiles.

I'll be out there again this week! I need a freaking sea bass to start my season!!!

17. marineslayer

marineslayer Well-Known Member

nice fish guys, way to go John you got the skunk off.

18. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Nice work right there!!

19. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Way to go. Great boat and a great trip. Thanks for sharing

20. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

dam fine job brada's... good to see jose.