hot shot blank (moved from open forum)

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by RodDude, January 19, 2004.

1. RodDude

RodDude New Member

Just ordered a Rainshadow HS9000 to build as a Surf Perch SpinningRod. Anyone use a HotShot for Surf Perch fishing?Do they work well?

2. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

ive heard they work real well. i havent built on one yet, but if i really get into surf perch and not satisfied with just the fly rod for them, ill be looking into a hotshot blank to build on.

but if my memory serves me right, i think they were designed for fishing stripers with bucktail jigs. so they have pretty fast actions, light and flexible tips, and stiff butt section.

ive played with one, built by someone else. not sure which model, but i do remember that it felt kinda heavy. but i think that was mostly because of the components used, placement of the reel seat, and length of the butt grip. stick with light guides (like fuji alconites), and at least a 11-12" butt grip and i think it would make a great perch rod, with the backbone to still be able to fight the occasional halibut cruisin the surf.

3. Joey805

Administrator

RodDude- Welcome to Get Bent! Glad you decided to register. Pescador and Batman are rod builders and could probably give you some good feedback on these blanks.

Again, welcome aboard!

Joey

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hey roddude, welcome to the board. I am looking for some blanks right now and I completly forgot about RS. How much did you pay and where did you get it? I know what RS has some fans that realy like their blanks so it should be a good rod.

Batman

5. RodDude

RodDude New Member

Batman

I paid 39.25 from Schneiders Rod shop. I don't live near a Rod building Supplier so I have to mail order all my stuff. I'm one of the fans of Rainshadow.They make a good blank for a good price. Although their prices have gone up they still aren't expensive as the Loomis or Lamiglas blanks I've used.