How 'bout some rooster fish?

Discussion in 'Extreme Fishing' started by kinembe, June 17, 2006.

1. kinembe

kinembe Member

[​IMG]
    Imagine, your first time in the salt, and the first fish you encounter gobbles up your live 10 inch lookdown like a mere gumdrop, then makes a screaming run that burns the skin off your thumb. As you try to maintain control of the Penn International 12 that you have been livelining with the spool in freespool, your captain lends a hand and kindly slides the lever drag up into the strike position and a 60 pound slob of a rooster comes flying out of the water 30 feet from the stern of the boat and the 40 minute battle has begun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, you've managed to get one of these pigs on your line, are you sure you really wanted to? 45 minutes into this one, this woman wore out and passed the Penn International 975 to her husband for another 15 minutes of deep bulldogging fight before we hauled the giant into the boat.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Well, i s'pose that when you're catching 20+ roosters in a single day, you're bound to find a few dinks along the way...it was a tough decision not bridling this chicken for bait and seeing what really lives down there, but we figured we'd let it live to mature a little so we could catch him again.
    [​IMG]

Guys, don't mess around...get down to Quepos and check out the drag screaming inshore action!!!

...more topics to follow, if anybody cares.

#1 kinembe, June 17, 2006
    Last edited: June 17, 2008
  2. Sinker

I relocated this post here to the Extreme Fishing area - Please post additional topics from the area here.

NOW - WELCOME and thank you for not spamming the site but rather putting up a friendly post with some wonderful pictures as well as all spam is deleted.

Personally I live in Florida with most out members being from California. I know here in Florida I don't even bother keeping Lookdown Fish as seems nothing here will hit them. Unfortunate as I am good at catching them :D .

Maybe I need head further south or just make a trip to Costa Rica.

#2 Sinker, June 17, 2006
    Last edited: June 17, 2006
  3. kinembe

kinembe Member

Right on, Extreme Fishing sounds alot cooler than wherever it was that i had posted this before. I'm new at this whole forum thing, but it looks pretty cool so i'll give it a go. Anyway this was my first rip at it and if i see that anybody really gives a damn, i'll throw up some more posts about the gnarly-ass fishing we are doing here in Costa Rica...

And you just gotta give those lookdowns another chance. They are one of our most used baits here in Quepos. In the high season, the bait catchers will sell 2 or 3 hundred lookdowns every morning to the small fleet of boats that more here. We catch everything from big snappers and roosters to amberjacks and crevale...they're just like a big shiney billboard that says food swimming around and the fish here tear them up.

-Chris

#3 kinembe, June 17, 2006
    Last edited: June 17, 2006
  4. Sinker

Well I can easily give them another shot. Like I said I tend to be very good at catching them, the other guys get upset as they are looking for the typical baits - I tend to like trying new things, tactics, baits etc. so will do it.

Seems I can get a Sabiki full of them even when the sounder shows nothing underneath.

Heheehe - now watch, I will go out and not be able to get any ;)

5. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Nice looking fish and beautiful blue water.
    Thanks for the pix!

6. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

amazing fish, thanks for sharing

7. IdRatherBeFishing

IdRatherBeFishing Well-Known Member

Of course we care! I personally love posts like this. The fish in other areas are so awesome and different. Nice post and welcome to Get Bent.

8. Herefishfishyfish

Oh man Quepos is SO beautiful. When we go back there this year maybe my boyfriend and I can hook up with you for some fishing.

I cannot wait to live in CR

Pura Vida!

9. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Okay what's a lookdown?:wacky:

10. Jackpot

Jackpot Well-Known Member

Cool 411~ Hey, I heard Sheldon LOVES roosterfish... he ought to see this!

11. Sinker

At least in Florida this is what they are.

Attached Files:

12. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Its an appropriate name OK.

Looks weird as bait.

13. Joey805

Administrator

Those rooster fish are sure neat looking!

14. kinembe

kinembe Member

hey sinker, did you ever give the lookdowns a try?

15. PilotLight

PilotLight Well-Known Member

Looks like a dang Triggerfish!