I wanna buy Kayak. Need Input.

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by Sparrow Hawk, October 24, 2010.

1. Sparrow Hawk

Sparrow Hawk Well-Known Member

So I have been looking at buying a kayak for lake and mild ocean fishing. I was set on the Hobie Pro Angler but have read a myriad of reviews which are not favorable. I also need something that I can transport on the SUVs roofrack and the pro is not it. Kinda looking at Ocean Kayak Prowlers and want to know if all you kayakers out there can give me your opinions on your picks.
    I want to get it right the first time and not have toupgrade a year from now. LOL Thanks for the input.

2. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

Hi Al,
    to get tech info on a major bunch of yaks go to "fishing kayaks.net" than to directory there are all sorts of sites to look into for specs. on Cobra,Hobie,Ocean,Malibu kayaks etc ie wght, length capacity etc.
    I have a malibu eXtreme which is pretty good. Next try to test paddle everyone you think you may like. At OEX Sunset Beach see Andy(Iceman) for help he is great and a wealth of information tell him herbo sent you
    The three things about kayaks are: longer=faster,shorter=more manueverable,wider= more stable good luck.....H:cool2:

3. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I just got the mother of all mothers, the Trident ultra 4.7 (paid ultra for it, thats for sure)
    The other (first) one I had was a Tarpon 140-14' long. At 15.5' the ultra is big. Very fast,
    a bit of a slow turner, but the rudder helps alot. They definitely had some moron installing the rudder foot pedals on mine, nothing I can't handle though. And the front hatch "neoprene seal is a joke", I complained and they are sending me the older rubber for me to retro.
    And it's heavy....but doable...maybe not for an SUV roofrack though...

It may be a bit big for lake but since all i do is ocean, open ocean with mostly surf launches, I went for the biggie.. Hope that helps and you can check mine out any time you want.

#3 Carpfisher, October 24, 2010
    Last edited: October 24, 2010
  4. Malinko79

Malinko79 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed i have a tarpon 140 and absolutly love it. has storage galore not too heavy for one person to manuever on dry land either. Plenty fast enough to troll medium sized lures or dragging live bait around and i have had no handling problems in the ocean with it. And it should fit comfortably atop most SUV's depending on your make and model, but mine fits in the bed of my truck with little overhang infront of my cab. Hope you find what you are wanting and do not sacrifice price for comfort you will regret it later. Good luck and happy hunting.

5. Sparrow Hawk

Price isnt really too much of a factor since I was gonna drop 2400 on the pro angler. I just want comfort and agility along with some candy on it. The Trident 4.7 seems to have it so far. Thanks for the input fellas and any more is welcome.

6. sb tuber

sb tuber Well-Known Member

no yak get a float tube

no yak get a float tube get more fish u will have go big water fishing u go in a harbor the float tuber will kill 'em over u trust me :rockon:

7. potto

potto Well-Known Member

Trident 4.7 weights in at...77lbs. Ouch! Remember, you want a kayak that you could lift easily. 77lbs is a bit much imo. Stay below 65lb. Normal Prowler is 55lbs, good value.

Edit:
    With all your added features to the kayak, I bet it will weight closer to 85lb. A definite no-go. (A rudder usually adds 5)

#7 potto, October 27, 2010
    Last edited: October 27, 2010
  8. Carpfisher

Potto is right , it's heavy but I'm making the best of it
    And I have a truck
    .Still lighter than a loaded hobie I think.

9. Sparrow Hawk

I see what your saying withthe weight. I have a 4runner so I have to do some lifting to get it up that high onto the rack. Also wondering, do I need a rudder? Isnt it more or less for controling drift in wind or rough water? Opinions?

I am looking at the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 angler, I like the little fishing pod it has.

10. potto

potto Well-Known Member

I had a rudder on my T160. Didn't like it. Most people in Southern Cal don't use one. (Except Hobies for other reasons). I suggest not to get one, imo.

11. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

I think you need to go back to Herbo's suggestion....try and paddle all the different ones you are looking for. Also try loading them on your roof....some may be a little heavier but with length/handle position/width, etc....are easier than others.

FWIW, I have the Prowler 13 (non- Trident) and it works great for me. Yeah it doesn't track as well as the longer models, but I've had no issues paddling/hooping with it. Granted I'm pretty much only using it in fresh right now until I figure the sw scene up here out.

12. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

The kayak store on Santa Claus lane in Carpinteria is having a huge sale this weekend with everything 31% off.

Take the 101 North through Carpinteria until your see a big Kayak sign next to the beach. Get off at the next offramp and come back along the southbound frontage road.

13. Carpfisher

Talk to Garrett at that store, he is really a great guy. I do believe I saw some 13's and a 15'.
    I know he wants to move some kayaks and he has great package deals. When you get one let me know and we'll do some fishin..
    Jeff, I don't believe I saw any boat stuff in there. You're not downsizing are you?LOL.

14. Sparrow Hawk

Sport Chalet lets you rent them and try'em before you buy'em. I took a 13' Prowler yesterday to castaic and might try the 15' 2morow. I liked the handling of the 13' so lets see how the other compares. Loading wasnt as big an issue as I thought. But I am definitely going to need some saddles for the roofrack to secure it better.

15. Sparrow Hawk

OK. Ocean Kayak Prowler 15T Angler was the winner. I got a hell of a deal out of state.No shipping,no tax. I'll post pics when its here and fully dressed. Thanks for all the input!

16. Carpfisher

Congratulations, can't wait to see how you dressed her up.
    I figured out a way to put conical nets on the front of mine
    I'll post some pics soon.

17. DaveC

DaveC Member

Researching...

Hi all, I haven't been too active on this board but I want to thank all for the info posted here. I have been considering buying a Kayak recently and your posts have enlightened me on some issues that I need to consider. You pointed me to some good sites for info/specs/pics, as well as your persoal experience.

You've also got me drooling to get one. I am leaning towards the Hobie Pro Fishing model myself, with a bunch of additions. I know there are some not so good points, and thanks again for bringing them up, but I just like it. So I hope to be joining your ranks soon... I will most likely be trying this out at Newport, Dana and Oceanside, and any point in between that one can launch a Kayak.

Thanks again, DaveC