lucanus jigs

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by g3vo, June 4, 2008.

1. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

Shimano's Lucanus Jigs is a fun and exciting approach to catching bottom species. The Lucanus Jig has an aerodynamic head design that lets it sink quickly to the bottom and stabilize the jig when it is retrieved. The Shimano Lucanus Jig also uses the multiple hook system to provide a higher hook-up ratio and a durable silicon skirts. The trailers wobble and vibrate durring the jig movement.

now what collars work the best

Attached Files:

#1 g3vo, June 4, 2008
    Last edited: June 5, 2008
  2. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

i want to see who used it did it work good for you or it sucked

(it worked for me with a srip of quid on the jig itself its a jiller

3. rmedina0811

rmedina0811 Well-Known Member

a strip of squid on a shiny sinker with dull hooks will work too.....

4. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

Those things are a joke.Spend your 17 dollars on a pack of 3/0's and some lead.

5. Sinker

I have had good luck with the ones I use but if you loose them it hurts the pocket book.

The hooks are way to small though and even the replacement 1/0 hooks are small in my opinion. Which brings up that the extra hooks and skirts are not cheap either.

The Braid Thumper's which are similar have very good sized and much stronger hooks and work well also but I do prefer the design of the Shimano Lucanus but much prefer the price of the Braid Thumpers at about half the cost.

Then their is the Braid Sea Fox which I do not like to much but is easily trolled although I have yet to catch a fish trolling it.

The hype of needing the special rod and reel is bull. No need at all for that.

I have found these to perform as well or better than my Bucktails when at the Inlet but when the fish are on the chew, they are on the chew so who knows.

Pic shows the Braid Thumper's on top, Shimano Lucanus in the middle and Braid Sea Fox on the bottom.

Attached Files:

6. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I like em too

7. jephs422

jephs422 Well-Known Member

How many ounces are they? Would they work in DEEP water with current where I normally have to run 12 ounces of weight?

8. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

I've seen them used on the Mirage.......hooks are small and we've been loosing fish on them because the fish spin off the hooks from deeper water...they work but the higher percentage of fisherman on the boat use double dropper loops with 2 hooks, #16oz. weight and squid strips with more productivity catching 2 fish at a time bringing them up from 240 feet deep, if lost this rig at the bottom total lost $5.00...I don't see people using 2 Luganus jigs at the same time.....would also hurt the pocket book if they lost both at them bottom of the ocean.....at $30.00 average ouch!

9. Carnivore

I made the mistake of calling them too expensive in the beginning and should have really thought my response through better. I just blew 35 bucks on a BOM so price isn't the issue, I can't put 17 bucks in harms way. If they worked for sea bass or halibut (and might who knows) then the likely hood of loosing them is lower I would be more likely to risk it but putting them in rocks? hehehe no thanks I will use a double dropper loop and call it good.

10. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

mine is too purty..still in the package..

11. Joey805

Administrator

Havent taken mine out of the package either...

I don't wanna loose it LOL

12. SFRHoman

SFRHoman Well-Known Member

I lost my loose anus jig last weekend :slap:! They only work when a Berkley Gulp is attached. If you want small starries, barber poles, and tree fish, have at it! Otherwise, the only $17 bucks I'll spend on a jig is the red PL68 :rockon: for those tiny reds! :rofl:

Attached Files:

13. rmedina0811

rmedina0811 Well-Known Member

leave 'em in the package guys, someday they'll be collectibles!!

14. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

LOL BURKELY GULD P PUT FRESH SQUID ON IT OR SPAY IT WITH SOME SENT THING
    BUT SQID ON IT WORKS THE BEST

15. Carnivore

No joke the gulp baits have been killing the bottom fish. They are a little more hearty then squid strips so you can get multiple fish and changing up presentation from what they are used to can help get you more strikes too. Not saying it is better or worse compared to anything else just that they are getting some good fish on them.

16. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

ill try brkely gulp

17. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

gulps by far work better then anything else ive tried for rockfishing. Its a bit to easy with them tho. No real challenge, if i wanna have fun i use irons and plastics.

18. baitfish13

baitfish13 Well-Known Member

Love the squid

19. ironman

ironman Well-Known Member

squid strips 2 hooks sinker thats the rock fish killing combo or 2 hooks 2 small berkly gulp grups and sinker keep it simple

20. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

naaa thats not fun