Molokai Wharf in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii USA' started by adr91360, November 13, 2003.

1. adr91360

adr91360 Well-Known Member

10/9 to 10/11

Just got back from my hawaiin vacation. Left On thursday last week to Oahu, stayed on Waikiki till saturday. Didn't do any fishing since all the locals said fishing sucked around Waikiki. On Sunday morning headed to the sparsely popullated island of Molokai, hit up the local wharf for some fishing. Got there around 7am, wind was really blowing but the water crystal clear.There were two other fishermen fishing out there, start off fishing with top water lures, had lot of fish chase them but no hits. Switched too 3" big hammer in anchovy color, and got couple fish (Roy and Trevally Jack). Only brought two in that color and they ended up getting shredded, switched to grunion and some other colors but no hits with them. Left after an hour since the wind started really kicking up.

Was suppose to go fishing in boat on monday but there was gale wind warnings and no of the boats were going out, which really sucked since my relatives were going to take me out for free. I drove around for the island looking for less wind with no luck and it started to rain.

Tuesday I headed back to wharf at 6:30 am and fished a top water popper, immediatly got hit by a nice size trevally jack(3 to 4 pounds). He managed to peel lot of line off my reel but after a few minutes fighting him i got him up. Also caught another Roy with a rattling shad bass lure and some small fish with a sabiki rig baited with shrimp.

I will post pictures later on, the are still on my camera

2. adr91360

Here's The pictures

[​IMG]
    The place i was fishing.

[​IMG]
    First Fish I caught, Trevally Jack on 3" Big Hammer

[​IMG]
    Roy fish caught on 3" big hammer not sure the what the real name of the fish is.

[​IMG]
    Lot larger Trevally Jack caught off a top water popper

[​IMG]
    Another roy caught off a ratshad bass lure

3. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

way to go...i bet you had a great time in Hawaii...Geez are those some great looking fish 0r what.

4. Sinker

Jacks are so much fun to catch, especially when they get big. I have caught a number while in Florida and they are one of the best fighters I have had yet

5. Joey805

Administrator

Nice pics Todd. Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for the report.

Joey

6. Flipper

Right on Todd, glad you got bent in Hawaii! Ive always wanted to go there, but guess I will have to live that dream in my sleep for a bit longer ;)

by the way, I tried finding that fish "roy"... but no luck. What is that thing guys?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good job Todd[​IMG]THose are some nice looking fish. I like the cool looking spots on the roy

Batman

8. adr91360

Looked up theblack fish, i misspelled it, should have been roi. Its american name ispeacock grouper.

9. Gordo Grande

Gordo Grande Well-Known Member

I caught one of those spotted fish off the beach in Maui once. I couldn't figure out what it was either. You just answered my question, after all these years.

I love Hawaii reports. I've fished off Maui several times, and really love it. Fishing there is like baseball here...it's the national past-time!

thanks for posting the report and the pictures.

10. Flipper

I thought it looked like a type of grouper! Peacock grouper? -cool, thanks Todd. Got to store that away in the ole'memory bank[​IMG].

11. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

so the offshore fishing in Waikiki isnt good? I chartered a boat for march out of Waikiki and deposited 100 dollars. Should i save the rest of my money and spend it on something else?

12. Gordo Grande

Those trevallys are great. I think the locals call them Ulua when they get bigger, and it's one of the best surfcaught fish there. Did this one put up a good fight?

13. Gordo Grande

I've caught one of those "Roy" fish off Maui, in the surf. I never found the real name either. Never seen another fish with that coloration.

14. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

So fishing offshore in Waikiki isnt good?? Please post any info you got. Thanks

15. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

NICE REPORT SOUNDS LIKE FUN. I ALWAYS HAVE BAD LUCK IN NEW SPOTS

16. Ladyfish0825

Ladyfish0825 Member

Very good pics there.

17. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

man i LOVE hawaii. Im kinda mad that i didnt bring my rods....:slap:

If anyone ever gets the chance to fish the big island one day, you HAVE TO try the kona harbor. I saw some guys catch a whole bunch of fish using those rods that dont have the reels on them (i forgot what they are called)

Also, what type of rod did you use for fishing the lures adr91360?