Okuma Induron Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Batman, March 28, 2005.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ok here is the long awaited review for the fantasic lookiing Okuma Induron 250. First I will start of with some specs so you guys can get an idea of what it looks

like and who its competitors might be.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=200><T>
    <T>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Machine cut from bar stock, one piece frame</TD></TR>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Seven stainless steel ball bearings</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>One way roller bearing </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Infinite anti-reverse</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Super smooth, Rulidium and SS drag system</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Titanium coated line guide</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Centrifugal cast control system</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    <TD class=_teal>Right and left hand retrieve models</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

5.1:1 Gear ratio 8 bearings and holds 300 of 8lb 260 of 10lb and 150 of 15lb.

At first glance this look like a nice reel. It looks Like it might give the daiwas and calcuttas a run for thier money. When you first play with this thing you notice that the freespool is actualy very good. It feels smooth and everything is nice and tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can become mislead by just looking at it. Okuma has done a good job at making all the plastic parts look somewhat metalic. Luckily for us they overdid it and the plastic parts look fake. The frame looks too bright to be true but it is metal, I think. The stardrag and the nut cover are plastic parts that have been coated to look reel. It looks nice but it just doesn't feel right. THe lettering onthe reel rubs off easilyI don't know if it is true or not but this may tip you off to the quality of the rest of the reel.

It fits easily in the palm of your hand and lets you wrap your fings around the rod so you can feel the bits. The handle knobs also feel good. The thumbar casting lever is slick and may slip when it is wet because of the way it is angled. Because of its positiong your thumb is right on the spool when you press down.

The Induron doesn't have a layer of heavy grease like other reels and this lets it cast better. The spool spins with very little effort which comes in handy while casting light baits. It also lets you cast a large bait a longer way. One thing I did not like about the reel was that the reel would sometimes engage on the cast. This can be a bad thing if you are casting out a $50 bass lure because you can lose it or have a 4 oz treblehook filled stick of doom flying at your face or your lower half if you are bearfish. I don't know if this just happens on this reel or on all of them.

[​IMG]

Now to the worst part of the Induron, the drag. It is jerky and tightens up when it becomes heated. I hooked a 4 inch blam to the back of creeksters SUV and we played with the reel to test outthe drag. The first thign we noticed was that it was jerky. At first it wasn't all that jerky. As we kept playing with it it began to tighten up and become jerkier.

[​IMG]

For the final test I had creekster drive down the street to see how the drag holds up to a long run. It wasn't long before I called off the test. Reason? The drag was tightening up too much and jerking too hard to the point where I thought it was going to break my rod. I swear I could almost smell the dragwashers burning up in the reel.

After the test I took apart the reel to examine the dragwashers. This is what I found [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pictures there isn't any more or less plastic on the inside then a Calcutta 250. The last picture shows the dragwashers. They look worn and glazed. In my opinion playing aroudn with a reel in the front yard shouldn't do this to a good set of dragwashers.

The part that I disliked the most was the taking a part the handle

[​IMG]

The handle has a hole in it to make the nut become flush with the rest of the handle. It may look nice but it is hard to take apart without scratching the handle.

[​IMG]

The main thing that had me concerned about this reel was the ammount of grease that it had in it. It has very little grease in it. This isn't a problem for a person who works on thier reels but for a person who doesn't work on them or even send them in to get worked on this can casue some problems. Okuma did good in putting the grease in the places it was needed. Shimano and the other reel guys have a habbit of packing as much grease into the reels as they can. I am glad okuma is doing something different. With some better dragwashers and soem metal parts this could be a nice little reel.

BattyEdited by: Batman

2. ODH33

nice right up Batty. Thanks for taking the time. Hey were you able to land the 4 runner or did you farm it?

Dan

3. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

Right on Batty, great review. Glad to see ya took the time to review and write it. Thanks[​IMG]

-Tony

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I farmed it. The drag was soo bad I thought I was going to break my rod. Ok I didnt farm it lol I just got it to stop but if it was a real fishI would have farmed it.

Batty

5. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

BATTY, HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR THAT INDURON?.....AND THANK YOU FOR THE PLEASURE IN ASSISTING YOU IN YOUR REVIEW...LOL</font>

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LMAO I tried to give you credit by putting you in the pix and puttin your name in it. You know where I live just give me an ofer and bring some $$:)

Batty