RECORD by ABU GARCIA

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by perchseeker, March 12, 2006.

1. perchseeker

perchseeker Member

I was thinking about buying a record abu casting reel.Becouse thats what I love to fish is small casting ambassadeurs. Has any body seen any reviews or have any info?.:wacky:

2. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

I have a RCN60 but I havn't had time to use it. I love Abus also and use a 4600 most of the time to throw 3 inch Hammers off jettys and in Harbors.
    Bearfish has a RCN60HC. Have not seen any reviews though.
    CREEKSTER:cool2:

3. perchseeker

perchseeker Member

creekster,thank for the info!, may be ill have to buy one. may all day fishen be good ones perchseeker.

4. Catcherman

Catcherman Well-Known Member

Editor's Choice Award:
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarecord.html

Since you live in Lancaster, you should go by Desert Offshore in Palmdale and see Clint. He has the Ambassadeur Records in stock. Make sure you pick up the display and play with it. You won't want to put it down.

#4 Catcherman, March 13, 2006
    Last edited: March 13, 2006
  5. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

Im not sure but I think it was you at the Fred HAll show I talked to about the records. And the roof thing? If it was, I got info on that for you as well. But as for the Record reels, my friend, everything and I mean EVERYTHING I told you about it is absolutely true. In fact, PM me and lets meet somewhere and you can give mine a whirl if you want. Mine is spooled with 20 pound at the moment for striper to which I am going to go hunting for this week and will soon be spooled with FIRELINE. Out of the box I was casting 30-40 yards farther than with my beloved SHIMANO...yeah Catch, I said it...S H I M A N O, with no adjustments to it what so ever and since then I have not put my Calcutta back on my LOOMIS. Why, I just cant do it. The Record is so much sweeter in every way shape and form. I have the 60 with the High capacity spool but I will be getting the regular one with the whiffle spool AND a couple more to add to the collection for freshwater as well as salt. A 40 and 50 for different applications obviously. FLIPPING for one...hehe...as soon as I learn how to do it better.
    If you like the smaller Ambassodors, dude, your gonna fall in love with the record. MAtter of fact I am thinking of selling my Castaic and my Curado in order to by the Records. Thats how much I like thes reels. ANd I loooooove my shimanos too. I feel like Im cheating on my tackle but hey....whats goog is good and whats better is better and Im going with the good better best theory.

Any how, like I said, pm me and we can hook up if your that curious and also the roof thing can be put to rest.

Bear.

6. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Excellent bear...i too am a knucklehead for abus!...creekster

7. Bearfish

Hey D....If your all that loopy for the Abu's, brotherman, you should look into the 40 and 50 as well as that 60 you got. Oh and the POWER HANDLE IS AVAILABLE for yours mang. SHAWEEET!!!! All the same stuff on ALL the RECORD reels. Im all over them as soon as I can get the $$$....after I getthe TUNA HUNT paid off, and a couple other things I need to do with some tax dollars, I am gonna be swappin out my SHIMANO'S ( YEah Catch I said it again) LOL. Seriously, I played with the Record for 5 friggin days at the FH show and I am truely convinced this reel should cost more for what they got goin on and that is going to take the market by storm once the good word gets out. There is no place to go now but BIGGER with them for bigger fish.

Oh and I am thinking CASTAIC this week as well....striper hunting plus some LMB action at the lagoon in the early morning hours if you can make it out. Next week too if I can do it. Let me know mang...:fisherdude1: :ukliam2:

Bear

8. ODOGFISH

ODOGFISH Well-Known Member

OK HERES THE THING I LUV MY ABU 4600-C3, FISH IT JUST ABOUT EVERY WEEKEND AND THE OTHER TIMES ITS MY NEW 502ALB SO FAR SO GOOD EVEN AFTER A COUPLE OF DRENCHINGS BY A POUNDING SHORE BREAK, BUT MY 4600-C3 GETS RACKED BUY THE SURF, SO HOW MUCH BETTER IS THE NEW RECORD 40 FOR THE SURF. MAN I WOULD LUV TO DEMO ONE OF THOSE RCN 40'S IN THE SURF

ABU's :rockon: :rockon:

9. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

NICE REELS i gave one to my son for his loomis rod and he loves it smooth

10. Bearfish

I cant say anything about the 40 and 50 as I do not own one of each yet. YET!!! I can say that the 60 is a phenomenal reel. The 40 and 50 are both built with the same features, carbon matrix drag system, cast control etc...and if you were to play with one....you would own one shortly there after. Where are you located? Im fishin somewhere this week, probably fresh, but you can play with mine. I kid you not man, you'll love this reel like you have never loved a reel before. Specially if you love youy current ABU's.

11. Catcherman

Shhhhh... what? I didn't know you were thinking of selling them, Bear! That says a lot, because I couldn't have taken them from your cold, dead, hands a year ago.

I'll be at the Castaic lagoon Wednesday morning to meet you, Bear. I'll bring the Record 40 and 50 for anyone that wants to see them. I'll even let you demo them if you like.

12. perchseeker

perchseeker Member

desert offshore

I have he didnt have a forty so I have to go to bob sands again likr most things!! catcherman do you live in my neck of the woods?

13. FishersDad

FishersDad Banned

I bought my kid an Abu 5000 for his first baitcaster..... he is 9 and can thow it like a pro.... we love Abu's... great reels for a great price

14. Catcherman

If you're going to Bob Sands I do. I'm in Burbank.

15. Bearfish

YEAH CATCH, IM THINKING OF SELLING THEM. AND YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE DEAD HANDS THING TOO, BUT IF IM GONNA UPGRADE I HAVE TO LIQUIDATE IN ORDER TO FUND THE UPGRADE. I AINT WORKING RIGHT NOW AND I HAVE LESS PATIENCE FOR THE WAIT TIME THAN EVER BEFORE. IF THEY CAST AS GOOD AS THE 60 THEN THE 40 AND 50 ARE IN MY NEAR FUTURE. S H I M A N O S FOR SALE SOON. ALSO THE 60 IS WAY TO BIG TO FLIP WITH AND , WELL, A MANS GOttA DO WHAT MANS GOTTA DO, RIGHT? I WILL SAY MY CASTAIC IS A GREAT FLIPPIN REEL, I JUST SUCK AT FLIPPIN, BUT AGAIN, THE RECORDS HAVE GOT ME BY THE SHORT AND CURLY'S. HA!
    :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :nana::dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna: :dancinbananna::dancinbananna:

#15 Bearfish, March 15, 2006
    Last edited: March 15, 2006
  16. Manuel

Manuel Active Member

Hi Guys,

Just got my RCN 50 Friday. I spooled it up with 12 lb. BG and took it with me to work today. During my lunch I went out to a park and took 3-4 casts with a 1 oz. egg sinker. I only took 3-4 because I busted off the egg sinker while retrieving in the grass. Damn grass sharks.

Anyway, I was getting about 80 paces using my 8'6" Fenwick HMX Steelhead rod. I figure thats about 80 yards without even putting alot of umph into it as they were the first casts I had ever taken with this reel.

I didn't get a chance to change reels and throw the same weight with my Abu 5600 C5 Mag-x or Millionaire CV-X 203 on the same rod. That was my original goal. Should'a taken more than one sinker. I figure this reel is definitely gonna be a keeper.

I just have one question, probably for Bearfish:

Does your reel whine when you cast? It doesn't seem to affect performance but, the whine was kind of odd. My C5 does not do this at all.

Manuel

17. Bearfish

MINE DOES WHINE A LITTLE BIT BUT IT GET LESS AND LESS....NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, I THINK IT MIGHT BE THE BRAKE SYSTEM ON IT. I WILL LOOK INTO MINE A BIT AND LET YOU KNOW.

I KNOW ON CERTAIN SHIMANOS....THEY WILL WHINE IF YOU HAVE ALL THE CASTING BRAKES ON....RIGHT JJ....IF YOU GOT YOUR BOX, LOOK AT THE SCHEMATICS AND SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. BUT YOUR 100% RIGHT ABOUT IT NOT AFFECTING THE PERFORMANCE ON IT AT ALL. SWEET REEL.....CANT WAIT TO GET MY 40 AND 50 FOR THE FRESH WATER AND 40 AND 50 FOR THE SALT....YEAH....4....AS SOON AS I START WORKING AGAIN THAT IS.

BEAR

18. Manuel

Manuel Active Member

Thanks Bear,

You are probably right on the money about the centrigual brakes making the whining noise. I pushed them all in except for two, which are opposite each other. My other Abus all have Mag brakes and I never use the plastic brake blocks on them.

BTW, when I got the reel I took it apart to take look at the guts. I tried to pull all of the bearings and flush them but, only two come out, one on the spool under the brake assembly and the one under the spool tension knob.

I called Abu and one of their techs told me that the bearing in the left sideplate wont come out until you remove the levelwind cog wheel but, you can't pul the cog wheel unless you have a special tool or if you cut the lip off of the plastic wheel and then remove it. Once you cut the lip off you need a C clip (Part# 4490) to keep the cog wheel on the post. He claims that was just a money saving effort by Abu. The last bearing is under that plastic cog wheel. Once it get gummed up your gonna have to pull it to clean it.

The bastards even put a brass bushing in under the plastic gear attached to the spool. All Abu ultra cast reel have a bearing there. I went ahead and changed it out with an extra bearing I had form an order of bearings. The bushing can be replaced with a 4x10x4 bearing just like the one on the other side of the spool.

Not that you or anybody else was askin' just thought I would share.

Manuel

19. Bearfish

THERE GOES YOUR WARRANTY MAN!!! LOL.... IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER TO REPLACE IT...COOL, BUT DID IT HELP THE PERFORMANCE ???? I AM INTERESTED IN THAT AS I WILL UPGRADE IF NEEDED, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, UNTIL THERE ARE MORE TECH REPORTS ON THESE REELS, IM AN OUT OF THE BOX USER FOR NOW. TRY TRI-FLO FOR A LUBE, IT MADE ALL MY SHIMANOS ZING WITH EASE AND NEAR NO MAJOR TEAR DOWN. WELL ALL BUT ONE OF THEM. I THINK IT GOT MESSED UP WHEN OUT ON LOAN AND WASNT NOTICED UNTIL I GOT IT BACK. NOW ITS REAL ROUGH ON THE RETRIEVE AND NOISY AS HELL. SIGH....IM GONNA SELL MY CURADOS SO ITS NO BIG DEAL. BUT I DID WANT IT TO BE IN A 10 OF 10 WORKING CONDITION THOUGH....IT LOOKS PRETTY USED, BUT ITS BEEN DOWN MANY EMBANKMENTS WITH ME....LMAO!!!

BEAR

20. ODH33

hey bear when you are ready to sell your castaic or curado let me know. I'll take them off your hands!