Seabass "conditions"

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by brick_haus, May 16, 2011.

1. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

all i can offer is TIME ON THE WATER, eventually u will get lucky i guess. Your not going to catch WSB from your arm chair, only happens by spending countless hours on the water, numerous skunk trips and perseverance. The rest of the stuff falls into place as the fishing gods deem it.

Oh yeah...Reel Therapy is back in 2011....be riding your wake randy this time...refocused and very motivated...

2. wils

wils Well-Known Member

my bad....

conditions?

any conditions 3-4 days before the full moon works.

3. brick_haus

brick_haus Well-Known Member

Time on the water? I doubt that very many members here have put more time on the water since I bought my boat last year on July 7th. I've been on every bite (locally) that has occured since then. Thanks to the advice from members here (thanks Randy and Darryl) I've had alot of "luck" so far at S.B. island and Anacapa last Nov. pulling on many 30'+ homeguard yellows. A few nice Butts, a few really nice Lings, but no ronkie... C-bass season is now upon us, and since I'm new to the art of actually finding fish on my own, I thought that I'd get as much info as poss. to increase my odds of finding the elusive ghost and getting him over my rail. And I'll now be watching the moon phase carefully...

4. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

I was trying to offer my experience..and honestly if there was some special formula to catching seabass u would see them being caught alot more often. EVERYTHING everyone offered is very valid. All good reasons and explanations on how and why to catch them. But from what ive found u can do all that and still not avail on these white ghosts. They are a tough critter to figure out. Most other big game over shore species patterns can be found and capitalized on and exploited..but there here now..gone tomorrow thing about seabass, makes them such a challenge..

The point was, fishing seabass takes lots of perseverance. Understanding conditions is only part of the equation...putting yourself in the right place as often as u can is key to understanding the bite.(hence time on the water) No matter what anyone tells u, there is no secret formula to WSB. Just keep trying and have fun is all that matters. One day you will get them..thats a promise! :)

5. Carnivore

One of my computer clients is 92 years old. He was a commercial fisherman out here for 40 years and he swears up and down that WSB is the DUMBEST fish in the ocean. They used to tie long lines out here with volley balls every 5' or so. They would tie a line to the bottom of the ball then pull it up the side so it would attach to the top thus flipping the ball over. On the end of the line they would tie a piece of iron spray painted white with a hook in it and let it dangle about 3 to 5' below the ball. Now the balls were painted red on one end so when the red side popped up....you had a WSB on it. They caught 1000s of fish that way.

Even after 40 years he says they never figured out what caused them to turn on and bite. They would bite anything white but what made them do it, who knows. Funny guy, have tried to get him in my boat many times but so far he is completely done with fishing. Still I would love to know just what he has forgotten about fishing. Hell I might catch a fish if I knew that LoL!

6. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

I know less than anyone here but for the few ive got it was right place right time,Ive always done good out on the ven. flats with the fleet, just soaking squid,usually about the time i get bored and am playing with my bait alot ,like a kid,15 ft. down wondering why im not gettin bit,or decide to go use the toilet(a cut open plastic quart we call the toilet )thats when ill get bit.

On the sea jay ithink it was, everyone was coaching a guy on how to rig for finniky seabass that we were slow pikin at in the a.m. and we all turn around to see he loaded his spinning rod up with a 1/2 lb.lead head and about 9 chovies he had threaded onto it on 50lb mono fishing with the reel upside down fighting the heavy line to get it down 15ft. were all busting up of course,
    (you know where this is going im sure)then all of a sudden he gets FREIGHT TRAINED!! He lands the JP!! hard to say but he was the exception and not the rule.

7. TheChickenOfTheSea

TheChickenOfTheSea Well-Known Member

8. TheFerret

TheFerret Well-Known Member

A very good seabass fisherman and well known captain at C.I. said they are the dumbest fish in the sea. That's why there is no rhyme or reason to 'em. Remember that one day a few years ago the Gentlemen got like 78 WSB on an open party 3/4 day trip at Anacapa. I'm sure nobody saw that coming.

9. petersmt

petersmt Well-Known Member

It is good to see you back in the mix Phishy.

Great thread all in all. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I don't have much to add since I have yet to figure out the legal WSB.

10. brick_haus

brick_haus Well-Known Member

Well... "Conditions" were perfect yesterday (6/4/11) and we landed the first WSB on the Endless Summer (since I have owned it anyway). Not too much current, or too little. Water temp was not too cold, nor too warm. Water clarity, well it was perfect and we fished at exactly the right depth with the right tide and during the prime time of day using the right bait.:dunno:

LOL. Anyway, mild current. 54*, clean water, 55', Cresting High tide, whole dead squid on single dropper loop. At a location where two currents converge.

Oh....and we were specifically targeting HALIBUT!

Congrats Mark on your first WSB!

[​IMG]

#30 brick_haus, June 5, 2011
    Last edited: June 5, 2011
  11. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Congrats man! That's awesome.

12. TheChickenOfTheSea

TheChickenOfTheSea Well-Known Member

WTG guys, nice WSB. They are out there, just got to work for them. Thanks for the follow up.

13. Brorson

Brorson Well-Known Member

14. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Spectra to about 3' of Floru