Shimano Evair Boots

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by albackore, October 23, 2006.

1. albackore

albackore Active Member

Well, it's been a long time coming. I finally got around to it this weekend. Here's MY take on the new Shimano Evair Boots coming out this winter....

http://www.albackore.com/review/Shimano_Evair_Boots_Review.htm

Shimano Evair Boots Review
    October 23, 2006

I had the opportunity to field test a new pair of Shimano® Evair™ boots during the past couple of months. I’ve now worn these boots approximately 20 days during the past 60-90 days in a variety of conditions. In all cases, I used only a lightweight nylon sock and/or a white gym sock over my foot.

My first impression of the Shimano boots when I picked them up is that they are EXTREMELY lightweight. Shimano says that their size #8 boot weighs 10 ounces. My size #12 weighed in at a whopping 12 ounces compared to my old boot at 2-1/4 pounds! By reducing my foot weight by two thirds, I noticed a vast improvement in the amount of time I can stand. In addition, my feet were much less tired at the end of each day.

[​IMG]

Unlike a heavy, hard rubber boot, the EVA material feels like a very dense foam, with a little stretch, and soft to the touch. Shimano says that these boots are constructed from one-piece molded EVA and they are 100% waterproof. Note: Although EVA is the same material used on the butt end of the shaft of most saltwater fishing rods, this foam appears much more durable and is also waterproof.

[​IMG]

The boots do come with a small lightweight insert (not a support) that I did not find useful. The insert provided minimal arch support and as I do with all my shoes because I need the extra support, I ended up adding additional arch support inside the boot.

[​IMG]

The insole of the Evair boot has a "water canal" molded into it, which might be part of the reason that it remains dry and comfortable all day. Although water spilled into my boots several times during my long range trips, I never felt uncomfortable. In the evenings, when I removed my boots, my feet did not show any signs of being wet or have any blisters. It doesn’t make sense to me how this worked, because I assumed that I would have ended up with blisters and water-soaked feet.

[​IMG]

The outer sole is a non-skid, non-marking material which has hundreds of small water channels built in. Almost like a close-knit tread on an auto tire, this sole provided a very good grip on the boat deck. This sole appears similar to some deck shoes I’ve seen.

[​IMG]

After the field test, I noticed some wear on the outer edges of the sole. After closer examination, what appears to be wear is more like paint scraped off of the EVA material. This is strictly cosmetic and did not have any effect on the performance of the boot.

[​IMG]

A nice feature that Shimano took into consideration, was incorporating a small edge on the backside of the heel to facilitate removal of the shoe. I found this to be very useful especially when the exterior of the boots are wet.

[​IMG]

Cleaning: After my last fishing trip, I left my dirty boots sit outside (as a test) in the hot sun for several weeks before cleaning them. As shown below, the boot (closest to the camera) cleaned up pretty well with just dish soap, a rag, and cold water.

[​IMG]

Shimano says that the Evair boots will be available in sizes from 8 through 13 and will retail for $69.99 a pair. They will come in Blue and Gray and will be available in stores in November 2006.

[​IMG]

The Evair's are about the same price as other fishing boots on the market today, but I’d have to admit that these stand far apart from the rest. Just take into account how dry they keep your feet and the fact that they weigh 2/3 less than a normal boot ... they deserve a serious look! If you're lucky, you'll find a pair of these under your Christmas tree.

More Info Visit: http://fish.shimano.com/evair

http://www.albackore.com/review/Shimano_Evair_Boots_Review.htm

Thanks!
    Jeff Jost
    Albackore Sportfishing Gear (not affiliated with Shimano)

2. Joey805

Administrator

Thanks for the Review Jeff.

I will be checking out these boots for sure. They look really nice and light.

3. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thanks...might give them a try also, but that's a low cut boot for a guy who likes to wear shorts all the time, I could be exposed to alot of water splashing when deck is being washed down.

4. Surfdog

Surfdog Well-Known Member

How can shoes, clothes improve your fishing.

5. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

you cant be in your top game if your not comfortable

6. photoguy

photoguy Well-Known Member

Well Said

7. Joey805

Administrator

Exactly!

If you're cold, hot, feet hurt, you're wet, ect...

Every piece of gear has a purpose...

:)

8. ODH33

hmm i may get the grey ones and give them a try. when i first saw the boots i thought that they were a little low and water could get in but after reading your review i am interested in them.

9. tackle junkie

tackle junkie Active Member

I tend to fold my boots down and haven't had a problem with water getting in them. I would like to see a photo of the grey boots. I'll check their website. Thanks for the review.

10. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

my buddy bought these boots, on our last trip he wore shorts and a rouge swell hit the boat. He ended with about a gallon of water in each boot :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. simplyslim

simplyslim New Member

I bought these boots last year for my 8 day alijos rocks trip on the A.A. and had not a single problem very light weight and comfortable. when a little water did get in them cause of the deck hands cleaning everything,my foot came out dry as a bone. Thay saying i am very happy with these boot. I do have to say this a little on the high side for price thoe.