Some more Sharkin in Africa

Discussion in 'Extreme Fishing' started by Nepptune, February 28, 2008.

1. Nepptune

Nepptune Active Member

Couple more pics for you guys....

This 125 Kilo ( 270lb ) Great White was taken off the Beach in False Bay, Cape Town South Africa this afternoon, by a client of Guide and Provincial Angler Gregg Kellermans ( Blue Shiirt and baseball cap ) of Extreme Africa Angling Safaris - Extreme Africa Angling Safaris

Fishing off the beach, these guys use 13 or 14 ft rods, and Trini 30 or 40's spooled with 600 odd metres of Braid and then a 200 metre topshot of Mono to a sliding rig.
    Usually they are sliding out baits such as Bonita or Yellowtail or Albacore heads.
    Its been an amazingly good season for Bronze Whalers and Cowsharks, as you can see in a previous post of mine, with hundreds of good size sharks coming out.....
    All these sharks are treated and handled with the utmost care, and returned to the water alive and kicking no worse for wear...
    Gaffs are only used as a very last resort, and then very caerfully so...

On these Great Whites, no Gaffs are used at all as they are a federally protected species. The fishing for Great WHites off the beach has really been an eye opener, and is indicating a healthy and rebounding stock and population of these incredible animals.
    One fisherman in particular has landed 11 in the last 2 years... his largest weighing over 500lbs.... And he has hooked and lost countless others...

Enjoy the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Respect from the Dark Continent
    Nepps

2. Carnivore

VERY NICE!!! I miss sharking:crying:

3. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

Wait is he still alive? and your holding his jaw open- - - - NUT'S !!!!!

4. Nepptune

Nepptune Active Member

Andy - Yeah Greg is something of a nutcase to say the least !!! :)

In truth that Shark is pretty wore out from the fight, so he's probably not as crazy as he looks... bear in mind Greg has probably caught more than 250 sharks off the beach over 150 lbs, and probably handled 3 times that many for his clients and for his team mates in tournaments so he kinda knows what he's doing..... kinda.... take a look at the gallery on his website... pretty impressive....

5. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thanx for sharing Andre that's some awesome shore fishing down there!

6. saba

saba Well-Known Member

damn thats awsome.You know thats one of my goals in life, is to catch a great white on a rod. I might have to come out there and do that some time. I have a few relatives that live in florida, and i should let them know about the extreme shark fishing in florida. I know they will be down.

7. saba

saba Well-Known Member

my uncle dennis is a retired painter, he lives in clear water, and all he does is fish. I have fished with him in the flats , and caught spotted trout,grouper,cobia. ETC. The fishing in florida is top notch.