Tag wraps

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Batman, December 20, 2003.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This has to be the first time I have realy been stuckon something. I started to wrap the underwraps on my GUSA but I can't find a good way to go from metalictag endto sizeA green thread. Do any of you have any instructions ora website that shows how to do it step by step?

Thanks

Batman

2. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

ken preston used to have videos on his website showing the splicing of thread colors. is this kinda what you were trying to do?

[​IMG]

its kinda hard to see the detail, but the gold was started first, then the blue thread was spliced into the wrap making each revolution a two threaded wrap. then the gold was cut and the blue continued causing a "color fading" effect. you can do this with as many revolutions as you want. i did it with every guide all the way to the tip. like this:

[​IMG]

again you cant see the detail very well, but you get the picture. is this what you were trying to do? let me know and ill tell you how i did it. its a simple procedure, but it can be difficult to get right.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I only need to know how to go from blue to gold with no mix inbetween.It is wierd how it is easy for me to do a complicated splice of like 6 different colors but I can't do a simple color to color wrap.:embarassed:

Thanks

batman

4. pEsCaDoR

oh in that case, just wrap each color separately. just make sure to pack the threads every few wraps so that you dont have any gaps between each color. kinda like how i went from black to blue on those guide wraps. i wrapped the guide first with the black. then wrapped on a few turns of blue right next to the edge of the black thread. once i had enough turns to keep things tight, i just packed it closer to the black using my fingernail. you can also use a burnishing tool (which is basically a dull plastic knife just a little smoother than your fingernail hehehe).

5. bajadave

Batman, You need to lay the gold tag endunder the blue wrap and make about 5 turns to hold it in place. You still need your loop string to pull backthe blue thread under itself when done with that color. Now the gold can start it's turns right right where the blue thread ended.

6. pEsCaDoR

good point dave. that does make for a much cleaner transition to another color. just seems like toomuch more work for me hehehe. lazy. but ive found that if i pack the threads tight enough, the diffference in cleanliness is trivial once the epoxy is laid. i can, however make a big difference when using non-NCP thread with no CP where tag ends and stuff can show underneath wraps.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I went Pescs way because the tag wrap is only 4 turns wide and when I do it Bajas way the tread slips ( I have like size E metalic and size A tread) . It is alos easier because if the Metalic thread pops put when I have done half of the wrap I wont have to start all over again.

Now I just have to do it 9 more times, than the over wrap tommrow:embarassed:

Thanks

8. bajadave

Cool, Much easier if you started with the heavier thread and then work your way with the lighter thread. Size "A" thread, man that's thin. What are you building? I ;ve used "A" size for light tackle rods and freshwater or fly rods.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It is just the under wrap. I am building a GUSA B83M. It is an 8'3" caster andI LOVE the blank. It is so small and light weight but is is still strong and has lots of power for a rod its size.( less than .5 inches at the butt)

I just broke the thread about 10 wraps from the end :crying:Guess I better start over

Thanks

Batman

10. bajadave

Are you using a power wrap machine or are you doing it by hand.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I am using a hand wraper:embarassed:

Batman

12. bajadave

What are you using for tension control?

13. bajadave

Hey batman, I have a small motor with a chuck that I machine to use as a lathe. Would like to have it? It was one of my first rod wrappers. Then I bought two power wraps but I sold them along time ago.