Torium 20 review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by ReDraGoN, May 27, 2006.

1. ReDraGoN

ReDraGoN Well-Known Member

Ive been hearing about the torium line of reels so i decided to get one...
    picked up a Torium20 matched with an 8ft seeker..... was going to use it for my jig setup, i took it out on an over nighter going for calico,sand,white seabass...and the occasional YT

I brought it as my heaviest setup since it was going to be a local Bass trip, it ended up being a YT bite like no other.... at 1st i was using my penn 975 with 20# pline on it and i hook up on the 1st yellow.... i Barely managed to land it....i switch over to the Torium20 with 30# on it and tiped it with a 25# fluoro leader and basically ended up using the setup the rest of the trip...

I had no problem bringing in the yellows when people all around me were farming Yt all over the place....

The drag was super smooth and the cranking power was amazing....i mean if it wasnt on an 8ft jig stick it wouldnt have been as fun;)

I give this reel an overall score of a 9 in looks a 10 in cranking power and a 20 on the price... i was next to a guy who was using an avet about the same size as my t20 and when i asked how much he paid for it he said $370 im like wtf thats double the price i paid for the t20 and i was landing more fish than he was:cool2:

2. Carnivore

Ya the toriums are nice I have 4 but will be switching over to the avet when money and time permits. For the money toriums are a great bang for the buck.

3. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Yep, I dont use one myself but all my buddies that do, are very happy.

4. ODH33

Brian thanks for the review! i have a TOR 20 also and really enjoy chucking iron with it. that AVET next to you was probably a 2 speed...

5. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

IAM NOT SURPRISED AFTER ALL ITS A SHIMANO!

6. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

IMO
    I dont like the AVETS
    But its only my opinion

7. Carnivore

I like the lever drags but a lever torium 2 speed that would be the bomb.

8. Thresher

Thresher Well-Known Member

I think shimano has the tyrnos that are 2 speeds that fills that niche.

9. Carnivore

M O N E Y ! ! ! I am cheep I want it at a torium price hehehe.

10. ReDraGoN

haha , yea that would be cool if the torium had a 2 speed, i would probably use that reel all the time!!

and glad people here like the torium....there are soo many avet fans , but i have yet to be impressed by one

and Odh when r we gonna slay some more yellows?

11. hakaveli

hakaveli Well-Known Member

Ya i love the torium just used my new 16 and 20 last week with no problems hauling them cudas on the iron its a bang for the buck since i got it cheaper than its suppose to be

12. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

Toriums are a great reel for the money. Had a 20 and had no probs whatsoever with it. But just like Carnivore, I tend to prefer the lever drags. So since I already own a couple Avets, I sold the Torium and upgraded to the Accurate 270...Those things are sweet reels, too bad I can't use it for another couple months.

13. vela219

vela219 New Member

I have both the torium 20 and the tyrnos 20 they are two different animals. the torium was billed as the trinidad for the the working man I cast just as well with it as my richer trinidad buddies. The tyrnos is a conventional offshore workhorse in a light package other than heavy iron not much on casting. Had both on my last trip to C.R. trolled sails with the tyrnos casted to tarpon with the torium with the same 7' travel rod. Both great reels

14. Deadman

Deadman Well-Known Member

How Do they cast???

15. ODH33

they cast awesome. I use a TOR 20 on my dedicated jig stick i just upgraded to the CAL plates and better drags. Can't wait to slay some fish with it

16. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

Got the 20 + the 30,both sweet no problems;)

john

17. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

I love my Tor16...definately one of my favorites.

I am a self admitted Shimano Reel groupie.

18. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

shimano

LOL ! ITS ALL I HAVE ALONG WITH LOOMIS RODS OF COURSE HEHEHEHEHE!

19. titan05

titan05 Well-Known Member

The torium is a reel that filled the need of fisherman that wanted Trinidad feel for Jigmaster price.......almost.
    The torium line is smooth and will make anybody feel like a king but......shimano has a problem with the anti reverse and the idea of ARB should stand for " always rusted bearings". To do a torium the right way you need to do a couple of things

First....degrease the bearings.....freespool increases
    Second........get rid of the Dartanium drags.........garbage
    Carbontex are great replacement.

Put in Shielded Bearings

Get some good drag grease..............Cal's... is awesome and change out the drag plate.

The final touch...........put on a Trini handle

Or just buy a Saltiga and fish it forever:)

I have way to much time on my hands and I just seem to take reels apart and do the "reverse engineering" on them.

Just an opinion and I would say that if you are happy with the torium you have..................fish it hard and tight lines

Jim

20. ReDraGoN

if i had the dough for a saltiga then why would i buy a torium?, i would get a trini instead....like many of us here some prefer SHIMANO and others prefer daiwa....

and the torium now that are out has the new carbontex drag plates already installed...at least mine does

this review was for the torium i own and its works great i beat it all all the time and its still pulling in big fish .