Torium 20 review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by ReDraGoN, May 27, 2006.

1. ODH33

can't wait to get mine back from Bob Sands'. I was Batray fishing and a big monster hit my line and actually streched the clicker spring. i had no choice but to laugh i did land that big boy. it was a fun fight but i could not use my reel the rest of the night as the clicker was toast

2. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Well-Known Member

I love my torium. I have it loaded with 65lb power pro and 40lb p-line. I kill the barracuda on it. I have it paired with my loomis psr 102-40. Great combo. Have killed 15lb yellows on it in mere minutes. Great reels for the price oh yeah I am a shimano guy.

3. grantar2

grantar2 Well-Known Member

Funny part about casting. In three trips I have been on, Legend, Dana Pride, Mirage I have only seen one person who really cast worth anything. Everyone else put it about the same for the conditions regardless of type of reel and really independent of type of bait or jig. I was looking for the olympic caster to see what the trick rig or skill was, never really saw it.

Bottom line, a good casting reel is important but I think the conditions of fish a charter seem to get in the way. Maybe it comes into play from the beach or rocks.

4. rmedina0811

rmedina0811 Well-Known Member

On many boats the number of people is the main factor for me...the 4oz megabaits act like missiles though and needless to say I can launch those quite a ways with any reel I own. I suck bad when I try to fling small sardines with anything heavier than 25lb line. People say avets are great for casting in general but I think the spool is too heavy for light bait.

5. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

Ohhh,the old SOUTH BEND reel was great for casting,and it was Ted Willams approved:lol:

ps spooled with Peguin mono;)

6. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I dissagree!

they cast fine flylining baits. At least for me. In fact my 6 year old nephew can flyline with it just fine. Thats why they have a spool adjustment.

7. rmedina0811

rmedina0811 Well-Known Member

Avet's have a spool adjustment?

8. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Well-Known Member

Its all about practice. I fish 180 days plus on the water and can cast jigs or livebait. I also use 8ft rods or longer though. Greatly improves casting distance. My newell 338 paired with my 100j though will cast a country mile. No matter how expensive the reel if you suck at casting you need to practice not spend more money on a better reel.

9. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

10. greyghost

greyghost Well-Known Member

FOR THE PRICE, THESE ARE GREAT REELS..

11. finsane

finsane Active Member

I see this is an old thread, but since I have aTor 20 I'll chime in. I use mine on a 9' Calstar 540. I have no problem slinging surface iron [Tady45, Kicker 25, Salas 7X] with this reel. I used to use my 332 Newell on this rod and still do sometimes, for me the only advantage the Newell is the lighter weight.
    I have come to enjoy the smoother Shimano, the torque and drag are fine. My reel is bone stock and I have caught YFT, yellowtail, calicos, cuda all on iron and have absolutely no complaints.
    Also just bought my son a Torium 14, casts like a dream and same quality as the othe Shimano reels I have. I also fish Daiwa and Penn reels.

12. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

I'm with ya. I don't get the hype.

Good review of the Tor20 (even if this post is old, i'm just getting to it now....) :rockon: