Trying to catch Travelly

Discussion in 'Extreme Fishing' started by xlanc3, July 10, 2008.

1. xlanc3

xlanc3 Member

So i am trying to catch a Travelly or Papio in Hawaii. I was wondering what kind lure will be the best to catch them. I have no idea! I am planning to go on a boat with my uncle so I need to go and buy my supplies. I am using a 15lb test line on a 9' foot rod. can anyone help me out. thanks.

2. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

Where are you fishing for them? Which island?

Couple options....

1. Dunking - pretty much bait fishing with either some live bait or squid, octopus, shrimp etc...
    2. Surface poppers - Pili chuggers/poppers or something along those lines
    3. Grubs - black tout I believe they are called
    4. Krocodiles

I've done best on a sandy beach right next to the rocks, or from a boat fishing a reef which has a steep drop near by. Papio/Ulua like to come into the shallows to feed.

3. xlanc3

xlanc3 Member

i amn going to fish in hawaii kai (oahu) if you are familiar. i am planning on whipping. but i wasnt quite sure on which lure to use since they have a great selection to choose from. i was told that yozuri crystal minnow is a good lure.

#3 xlanc3, July 10, 2008
    Last edited: July 10, 2008
  4. TheWind

TheWind Well-Known Member

My book says use silvery streamers and poping bugs if your going to flyfish for them..worked very fast..They also love live bait but what fish would pass up a good sardine..lol I have family all over oahu..look for the Atons and tell em the wind sent ya lol

5. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

Ok I know the Hawaii Kai area...my gf parents live in the hills behind the costco/longs there... Oahu fishing is tough due to the presssure

I honestly prefer popper type baits since they provide more action/noise than the yozuri minnows. I've probably done the best with just straight black....move the sucker as fast as you can creating as much noise and splash as possible.

6. Papio

Papio Well-Known Member

Black Pili Poppers, clear or white plastic strips, and or strip of ika. Right around now should be O'ama season (small fry goat fish) that comes to very close to da shallows to avoid Ulua, Papio, Omilu.

Use small popper and run it/skip it across water very fast for decent size Omilu. Very effective at night under lights around bay/piers. Ask da locals what's best setup. Good luck and hang on.

Hana pa'a brah!

7. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Well-Known Member

Yup! What papio said. Also, use a carolina rig with long and light floro leader (7-8 feet, 6-10#) with a 2-3 inch clear with silver specks (cast and retrieve method). For night, I normally just bait fish with octopus (dip in their ink sack) or strips aku belly. Or just to catch anything use long strips of squid. Morning beach fishing normally use 1/4 to 1/2 oz. castmaster in full chrome or with blue stripe.