Ventura pier damaged

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by eDUBz, December 11, 2015.

1. eDUBz

eDUBz Well-Known Member

Anyone else see this today, I guess the pier got hammered not sure how much damaged was caused but I could imagine what these waves can do, also some of the beach communities saw some partial flooding from the high surf. It's crazy out there.

Attached Files:

#1 eDUBz, December 11, 2015
    Last edited: December 11, 2015
  2. GRUMPKILLER

GRUMPKILLER Well-Known Member

Dam! That's a crazy pic! I hope the damage isn't to bad!!

3. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Some of the biggest waves we have seen in a long time, good thing I don't have any crab pots out or they would be gone (damn crab season still waiting) here is a pic of the Santa Cruz Harbor Fri. morning

Attached Files:

4. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Hope the damage isn't too bad.

California is in no hurry to repair their piers we've been waiting years for gaviota to get repaired.

5. Carnivore

Ya the damage is pretty extensive. Won't know more till they can get out on it but the pictures are not looking good.

6. Carnivore

400K to 700K to rebuild....ya I bet they are just dying to get that fixed.

7. eDUBz

eDUBz Well-Known Member

Going to be closed for a while, sucks.

8. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

They fixed both goleta and santa barbara piers pretty fast in which I believe are county owned. Gaviota which I think is state owned is the only one not fixed, maybe that might be a determining factor in how fast it gets fixed. I have heard from what I believe to be a very credible source that gaviota pier will be either fixed or ripped down and a concrete pier will be put in but either way no more hoist and who knows when it will be done

#9 pete j, December 20, 2015
    Last edited: December 20, 2015
  9. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Sorry to see the pier was so heavily damaged. Crazy pics! Its been two years this Jan that the Gaviota pier went down and all the state has done is fence off the pier and pay for an engineering survey. Went by the other day after the big swell and the hoist was still perched on the end of the pier like a diver ready to jump. I think an article in the Independent said the cost range for repair of the Gaviota repair ranged from 2-22 million. Two mill to stabilize the pier/ no boat launch. Twenty two mill for a full concrete rebuild. I am sure that Ventura has a better chance of repairing their pier than we do getting the state to bring Gaviota back. Sure hope they do, lots of great times boating from there. The community of Cayucos was able to raise funds for the repair of their pier and i think thats how the Ventura pier was repaired from the last time it was damaged. Any way its sucks for now. Hope they can figure it all out.